• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tree vs Cherokee

jeeping31

NAXJA Forum User
vwp
there bulit tough but not that tough!!

p15-1061399516.jpg

nope...not photoshopped. i saw it on CNN yesterday. nobody was inside at the time. they were out hiking. they heard the tree fall but didn't know what happened until they got back to what was left of their grand cherokee.

When I was fishing up in the Sierras couple years ago, I drove by this brand spanking new toyota pickup, still with dealers tags.... It apperaed to have been parked by hikers on their way to a trail... They made only one tiny mistake........ they left an open bag of cookies inside :) Now just so you know the night before our campground got visited by this bear cub.... and the MOMMA..... Anyways, so this brand spanking new truck had one door ripped out, one door bent half open and paw marks all over the place, and a ripped bag of cookies (no cookies left though) by the door..... As much as I feel for the owner, I'd love to see couple things:
1. Their face as they got back
2. The face of their insurance agent who received the claim....

Kejtar

It happen in a nat. park on the west coast !

This is what happened 200-foot-tall giant sequoia tree fell along Sequoia National Park's main road, crushing a vehicle into a several-foot high pile of crumpled metal, park officials said Monday.

The tree, believed to be approximately 1,000 years old, fell Sunday at about 5:15 p.m. along the Generals Highway several miles east of the Giant Forest Museum, said park spokeswoman Alexandra Picavet.

No one was injured but the Jeep Grand Cherokee was destroyed, Picavet said.

The vehicle was parked in a turnout alongside the road.

"They had hiked to a waterfall close by. They said they heard this huge crash like a sonic boom and they saw the top of a tree going over," Picavet said. "They didn't put it together until they got back and saw it had fallen on their car."

Picavet said the tree had previous fire damage that contributed to the collapse.

"Only half of the tree was still alive," she said. "These trees do fall. It's not unusual. But it is extremely unusual for one to fall and crush a car."

Picavet said the road was closed for about 15 minutes while park crews and firefighters cleaned gas and oil from the road and cleared tree fragments.

She said park officials will leave the tree where it fell.

The vehicle's owner had driven to California from Florida.

"This vehicle made it all the way from Florida without any problems," Picavet said. "We're all interested to see if the insurance company treats this as an act of God."

In nearby Yosemite National Park, a Jeffrey pine tree that was perched atop Sentinel Dome fell to the ground sometime in the last week, Yosemite National Park officials said Monday.

The tree attracted photographers Carelton Watkins and Ansel Adams in the late 1800s and appears on numerous park postcards.

The tree died during the severe drought of 1976-77. Park officials said storms in the Sierra Nevada in early August may have contributed to the collapse.

Back