• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

serp belt causing bad water pump?!?!

vajeeper

NAXJA Forum User
1997 cherokee country... well i was putting a new serp belt on because of a streched out belt...well i got the old one off and the new one on but when their is a heavy load on it it has an awful noise...im almost positive that its not the belt squeeking buti think it might be the water pump grinding on the inside

well i loosened it up some but then it was almost a constant screech...to be more specific it was fine at idle with the a/c on but not when revved up with the a/c on...so i loosened it...now with it loosened and the a/c on it is constant...but in both scenarios with the load of the a/c off it is fine...

vajeeper said:
well i loosened it up some but then it was almost a constant screech...to be more specific it was fine at idle with the a/c on but not when revved up with the a/c on...so i loosened it...now with it loosened and the a/c on it is constant...but in both scenarios with the load of the a/c off it is fine...

You had a loose belt from the start. Loosening it up only made things worse.
Serpetine belts need to be very tight. If you have another car that uses a spring loaded adjuster, compare tightness.
I ordered a tension gauge because I got tired of getting the stuck pig squeal, tightening more and testing till the sqeal is gone.

After about 15 min of running the belt will strech and loosen.The belt needs to be tight to avoid the "squeel" you hear when the AC loads the belt.A general rule is about 1/2" deflection on the longest span between pullys. Or go to NAPA and get one of there "Kricket belt adjustment tool/guage.The sales person will not know what it is look in the book and find it.Or do a search here .
Wayne

Falcon just bought one this weekend, NAPA part number NBHKR2
New belt, 190lbs, new belt is defined at one run less than 15 minutes
Used belt, 160lbs, used belt defined as one run more than 15 min..

Back