• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Took on enough water to stall the jeep.

xjrrrdx

NAXJA Forum User
Well I was doing a water crossing and someone floored it through and a huge wave over my hood. As soon as the wave hit my jeep died. I got pulled out and tried to turn it over but nada. After like 20 tries it finally caught and sputtered unless i kept on the gas. After a few seconds of sputtering the idle went back to normal. I popped the hood and it looks like the Rustys tube was a little off the K&N and it sucked in a little water.

Aside from changing the oil/filter is there anything else I should be worried about or change?? all the electronics are fine.

I'd run a compression test. If water was drawn into a cylinder either a connecting rod is going to bend or a head gasket is going to blow.

If your compression is low in any of your cylinders you need a new engine (bent rods), or a top end rebuild, (blown head gasket). Either way its going to be big bucks to fix. I hope your engine is fine, but if not, take it as a lesson not to play in water without a snorkel.

and certainly if you ever die in the water again DON'T CRANK THE MOTOR.
If it dies in the water and you suspect that you sucked some in pull all of the spark plugs and use the starter to push the water out of the cylinders through the spark plug holes. Turning the motor over with water in the cylinders will likely result in what was described above.
Change the oil, listen for any abnormal noises, run a compression check and check all the plugs.

I didnt try to start it in the water. I got pulled out and popped the hood and tried to start it...stupid me I forgot my ratchet so all my sockets were useless. As of now its perfect, no knocking, pinging or anything. Im going to go pull the plugs now.

I believe what he meant was that if it dies in the water dont start it at all until you remove the spark plus and use the starter to push the water out of the spark plug holes. He meant nothing of starting it while submerged.

xjrrrdx said:
I didnt try to start it in the water. I got pulled out and popped the hood and tried to start it...stupid me I forgot my ratchet so all my sockets were useless. As of now its perfect, no knocking, pinging or anything. Im going to go pull the plugs now.

i believe what he meant was that if you submerge and stall the engine, the first step is to pull the plugs, not the last step. also not try starting it 20 times.

Yeah I forgot my ratchet ( I was working on it last night) so when I went to pull them I was screwed. As soon as I got pulled out and when I went to start it it would catch but then sputter out and die, it got better and better every time but never enough to keep it going. It got the the point where it finally started, I revved it a little and it held the idle.

xjrrrdx said:
As soon as I got pulled out and when I went to start it it would catch but then sputter out and die, it got better and better every time but never enough to keep it going. It got the the point where it finally started, I revved it a little and it held the idle.

That could be due to moisture in the distributor cap. There's a breather on the cap...

Back