• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end vibration

glennv

NAXJA Forum User
Can figure this one out. My stocker had the beginings of DW and I suspected it to be the tires. I replaced the tires and the symptoms went away. A few days later adn I start to get a pulsating in the front end around 60mph. I rotated the tires to isolate maybe a bad balance and it got worse. Had it aligned today and it made no diff. Thoughts?

My thought is steering stabilizer. I had the same symptoms for a while. One day the stabilizer just stop working and I had some serious death wobble on the expressway to the point that I had to stop. I had to replace it. I wish I had known sooner that it was going bad because it caused some other problems in the end, requiring replacement of the trac-bar and a new alignment.
Just a thought.

Last edited:
60 MPH is the magic number for diagnosing balance problems. At 60 MPH, 9 times out of 10, the vibration is the balance. Another indicator is if you can accelerate through it. like when it doesn't vibrate at 40 or 75 MPH but right around 60 MPH.
Bad front U joints can also cause a vibration. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. When they do it often starts at a round 45 MPH or so and gets worse as the speed increases. Bad driveshaft U joints can also cause vibration. The test for this is to put five people in the XJ and take a test drive, the different driveshaft angle from the load, often changes the vibration or even eliminates it.
Maybe the balance machine was out of wack and all your tires have a poor balance.

8Mud said:
60 MPH is the magic number for diagnosing balance problems. At 60 MPH, 9 times out of 10, the vibration is the balance. Another indicator is if you can accelerate through it. like when it doesn't vibrate at 40 or 75 MPH but right around 60 MPH.
8Mud said:
Bad front U joints can also cause a vibration. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. When they do it often starts at a round 45 MPH or so and gets worse as the speed increases. Bad driveshaft U joints can also cause vibration. The test for this is to put five people in the XJ and take a test drive, the different driveshaft angle from the load, often changes the vibration or even eliminates it.
Maybe the balance machine was out of wack and all your tires have a poor balance.

OK, I'll come clean. Walmart did the tire balancing. Right now I start to get problems right at 60mph. When I ran the rear tires up front I got shaking in the front for 55mph to around 65-70mph and then it was pretty much nothing. I'll have to find a better shop to balance them I guess.

I installed a JKS trackbar up front so I know it's not that. The syptoms are the same as they were before I installed the bar. I'd just like to get the problem before I lift it next month, so I go though hell with whatever problems come about.

Back