• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 5.5 or 4.5 Need Odd Measurement

taberxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey XJer's -- New to the board and Xjs, but not to wheeling and jeeps. I have been wheeling at Paragon in a TJ since 2001-2002. Sold the TJ to open a store 2 years ago and haven't been since. Well, got the wife a new car and now I have her old daily driver, a 2000XJ to lift. I am looking at installing the re 5.5 with 33's. I live in NJ and the vehicle inspection in Winslow (altered height vehicle test) measures the vehicle amount of lift by the bottom of the door. Yup, they open the door and measure from the bottom of the door to the ground. They will allow a total of 9 inches of lift from stock. Can those with the same set up please give me this measurement?

Thanks

Thats pretty easy to figure out. 5.5" lift, 33 - 28 / 2 = 5.5 + 2.5 = 8"

Now thats assuming the tire is a true thirty three inches and that the Rubicon lift gives you exactly as advertised. Well we all know most every 33" measures out to a 32" and that the Rubicon lift will give you 1" - 3" over advertised if you have no additional weight on the rig. I'd say you'd be flirting with the limit, and it would just depend on if the guy doing your inspection is having a good day or not.

The jeep is presently a stocker. No skid plates or heavy bumpers. My previous experience with RE springs gave me 5 inches of lift from 3.5 inch springs, this was on a TJ. So 1-3 inches of margin is a gamble. Maybe I will think about the same lift from re and substitute 4.5inch springs and 32's to be safe. I will probably use this as a dd for another year or so. With 2 kids and fairly good commute I want to stay legal.

You could always fill the Jeep with sand bags prior to measurement, or put on smaller tires.

I'm pretty sure a 5.5" and 33's would put you over 9". If you get 7" out of the lift, 33's should put you at/over 9". I also say it depends on the guy measuring.

Just put on your stock tires prior to going to the inspection.

Wyoming is the only state with no lift laws, hehe.

Back