• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering

rhino317

NAXJA Forum User
I am having some steering problems when i get over 50 mph. I am constantly having to move the wheel back and forth left and right while driving and when i hit bumps the wheel jerks. Does anyone know what is going on or has had these problems?

sounds like you may have some play somewhere in suspensoin/steering sys.

usually trackbar

Harlee&Tahoe said:
sounds like you may have some play somewhere in suspensoin/steering sys.

usually trackbar

Ditto.

Check for play in the track bar mounts and steering linkage first. Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth slightly while you look at everything in the front end to see what might have play in it.

I would have to agree with Goatman since I do not think 4.5 would cause too bad of angles. Check everything under there for worn out or loose parts. I have to get under mine and check the trac bar all the time because it comes loose.

if its the track bar it will usually pop when turning the steering wheel from lock to lock while parked with the engine running. you'll be able to see it move if you're looking under the front end while someone turns the wheel. the bolts holding my trackbar bracket on constantly come loose, ive tried red loc-tite, impact gun, everything short of tackwelding them, but i still have to tighten em up every 6 months or so and im only at 4" lift. it could also be your stabilizer... just like a shock absorber, it should be checked every 30,000 or so. you said it jerks when you hit a bump at speed thats what the steering stabilizer is there to prevent. but it most likely wouldnt cause your wobbles.

Back