• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bearing problem on XJ D44

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing the axle on my D44 due to some Moab carnage. The bearings/seal I got will not work with the D44. The bearing race slides into the axle. The space for the bearing to slip into is .785 deep measuring from the flange. The problem is that the bearing by itself is roughly that depth, leaving no room for the seal to fit into the axle tube.

I have a "10" bearing. What is the correct part # for an XJ bearing/seal?

Moab Offroad removed the old bearing and seal so I no longer have them for reference.

Can anybody measure the depth of the bearing recess on an XJ D44 rear axle?

I figured it out. I am not the first owner of this axle. I pulled the opposite side and its shelf measured correctly and was nice and high. The shelf on the problem side is low and not so nicely finished. Some how that shelf got mashed down, reducing the available space for the bearing. I will fab up a tool and machine out the excess material so the bearing seats correctly. What a pain, but at least I figured out what was happening.

Back