• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan clutch question

SanDiegoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I found this website that describes a test for the fan clutch on a '93 cherokee sport, I figure mine being a '94 country, it should be the same, right?

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl262h.htm

So I did what the guy said and popped off the bi-metal spring an turned the doohickey 90 degrees counter clockwise where it snapped into place. My problem is, according to the article this should disable the free-wheeling, temp controlled portion of the clutch. But when I did it, the fan free wheels just the same as always. When he says it will make it like a conventional fan, doesn't that mean that it should be like just a bolted on fan - no slippage at all?

Thanx for the input =)

The bi metal coil causes the fan clutch to engage at around 190 degrees air temp. in front of the fan. Turning the bi metal coil, causes it to engage at a lower temperature.
It doesn't affect the strength of the clutch action any.
The test is to put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator, run it at 2500 RPM or so, aim a timing light at the fan blades, when the air temp gets high enough you can often hear a clunk, you can see the fan speed change as the clutch engages. Be carefull not to overheat your motor.
This only works at lower RPM's around 2500 or so, at higher RPM's the clutch is supposed to slip more anyway.
They say the Goop they fill the clutch with shears and gets thin, causing excess slippage at lower RPM's, at higher RPM's it is supposed to slip a lot anyway.
The crown clutch I just put in is almost direct drive and wasn't real expensive. I don't really know if they are all that way, or just the clutch I got.

Back