• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing The Steering Wheel On A 97

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever done this on a 97 or newer XJ. Want to put my grant wheel on. I have never messed with an airbag. The haynes tells you how to disarm and remove the wheel but Grant does not make a mounting kit for the 97. They go up to 95 or 96 i think will one of thoes fit or will it have to be modified. If any one knows please le me know thank you.

What's funny is you're more likely to sustain serious injury or death in an airbag equipped car than one without airbags--if you wear your safety belt.

I pulled mine (98), and the grant steering wheel went on just fine. Mine is trail rig only.

dlarrivee said:

Yes, most definitely my take on this topic. Should have prefaced that! ;)

I don't have time to argue this one, but let's just say I have been first reponder at about four dozen accidents in the last 7 years. Airbags are (in my opinion) dangerous and intensify accidents when they deploy and remove one's ability to control the vehicle after initial impact and deployment. This is one of the most dangerous aspects of airbags IMHO.

Hey brianho13 what year adapter did you use and is it as easy as the haynes says. Thanks for not gettin pissed off and helping me out any other info would be great.

No pics, I have no idea what adapter I used, I got the setup from a buddy that had it in an old Chebby. I have not read the Haynes manual but it was pretty damn easy.

bigolexj said:
What's funny is you're more likely to sustain serious injury or death in an airbag equipped car than one without airbags--if you wear your safety belt.

*cough* bullsh!t *cough*

what's funny is your statement.

To answer the question, I would highly recommend you keep the airbag system in place unless it is a trail rig. If you do remove the bag, also pull the fuse(s), unplug the module, then all the sensors and passenger bag, and remove them.

C'mon, with the mods some people do, their rigs should not be allowed on the road for safety of others on said road. The air bag, in my opinion is a personal preference for one person...the driver and has no bearing on any other motorist.

Anywho, i did this mod on my 96. The 95 and 96 have mechanical bags and no sensors, it is either armed or remove screw on top and unarmed. I had no electronics to worry about save a new horn button and having to cancel my turn signals manually as the clockspring cannot be used with an aftermarket wheel.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2195225190093170617dRYJyh

-B.

fordtech said:
*cough* bullsh!t *cough*

what's funny is your statement.

Unfortunately, some of us don't have the time to post entire paragraphs each time we visit the site. My intent was to express my opinion of airbag safety (see reply above), not to contradict any national safety test data, but I feel they are more dangerous. I should have prefaced that it is my opinion, but I assumed that was a given. :looney:

Then again, I have a full cage and 5pt harnesses. My seat mounts are welded to the cage and the cage ties into the sleeved unirails. So my personal vehicle is probably substantially safer than the average motorist's!

My work car does have airbags and I have been clobbered by airbags several times. The airbag can break your nose, break your jaw, etc. Especially the older airbags that XJ's were equipped with. So I'm speaking from my personal experience and what I've seen in the real world.

The way I look at it is this, if airbags were safe, racing sanctioning bodies would employ them. Unfortunately there are no reputable sanctioning bodies that allow them on track. Why? Because you lose control of your vehicle when they deploy. Just some food for thought and again, it is my opinion.

in most states (including here in CA) insurance will not cover you if they find out you removed your airbag, i dont think the DMV would pass you if they required an inspection either, so dont get a fix-it ticket.

i popped my airbag on a trip out to the desert jumping dunes, i put a grant wheel on mine because i couldnt afford a new airbag. i changed insurance companies a year ago and they wanted to take pictures of my truck, when they saw the airbag gone they said no way and told me they wouldnt cover it. now i have el-cheapo state minimum ins. with no theft coverage because if they see my truck i get denied.

just fyi, i would leave the airbag where it is.

-mike

Here in FL we don't have inspections, so it's not an issue here. 90% of the people with modified or older vehicles don't have catalytic converters. We don't enforce missing cats or airbags as long as you have a seatbelt and your tail/lowbeams/signals are working and your car is drivable. ;)

bigolexj said:

UM... Funny? :gag:

Dont think so...

Opinion clearly...

I wouldnt buy a car without an airbag in it....:scared:

bigolexj said:
Unfortunately, some of us don't have the time to post entire paragraphs each time we visit the site. My intent was to express my opinion of airbag safety (see reply above), not to contradict any national safety test data, but I feel they are more dangerous. I should have prefaced that it is my opinion, but I assumed that was a given. :looney:

Then again, I have a full cage and 5pt harnesses. My seat mounts are welded to the cage and the cage ties into the sleeved unirails. So my personal vehicle is probably substantially safer than the average motorist's!

My work car does have airbags and I have been clobbered by airbags several times. The airbag can break your nose, break your jaw, etc. Especially the older airbags that XJ's were equipped with. So I'm speaking from my personal experience and what I've seen in the real world.

The way I look at it is this, if airbags were safe, racing sanctioning bodies would employ them. Unfortunately there are no reputable sanctioning bodies that allow them on track. Why? Because you lose control of your vehicle when they deploy. Just some food for thought and again, it is my opinion.

I don't usually have that kind of time either....

Throw a IMHO in there and I wouldn't say a word! :)
I'm following ya, and understand where your coming from.

bigolexj said:
I think we can all agree my initial post made very little sense. My apologies for the confusion! ;)

Sup Alex you got yourself into this one. ;)

i wouldnt bother replacing the stock wheel. has too much crap installed on it. airbags are dangerous to me too btw.. but i know when to speak and when to shut up.. lol @ alex

Back