• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone go to Speedway (motorcycles)

juryrigjalopy

NAXJA Forum User
Speedway season is approaching quickly, there are races Wed nights at Industy Hills and races Saturday night at Costa Mesa. I live across the street from the CM track so its convenient....but Industry Hills (off 605&60) had 2 dolla beer and 3 dolla corn on the cob, not to mention replays on the megatron and admission is cheaper. I raced a few years ago and have been going for as long as I remember, you cant beat the sweet smell of methanol on a Saturday night.

Costa Mesa Schedule
May 12 2007 Season Opener & Amateur Afternoon
May 19 Orange County Harley Davidson Blow Out!
**June 2 AMA National Championships Series - Round 1
June 9 Speedway Racing & Amateur Afternoon
June 16 KIDS Night - Speedway Racing
June 23 Legends of Speedway - Jack Milne Cup
June 30 Freestyle Motocross Back Flip - Speedway Racing
July 13 Fair Derby - Championship Speedway
July 14 Orange County Fair - Freestyle Motorcross Invitational
Sept 8 Orange County Harley Davidson Nite
Sept 15 Warren Russel Cup - Championship Speedway
Sept 22 Mission Motorsports Night & Amateur Afternoon
**Sept 29 United States National Speedway Championship
Oct 6 Speedway Fall Classic
Oct 13 Rain Date

Industry Hills Schedule
  • April 11th Opening Night
  • April 18th
  • April 25th
  • May 2nd
  • May 9th
  • May 16th Harley Night
  • May 23rd
  • May 30th
  • June 6th
  • June 13th
  • June 20th
  • June 27th
  • July 7th * Sat. nite *
  • July 14th * Sat. nite *
  • July 21st NO RACING
  • July 28th * Sat. nite * Calif. State Championship
  • Aug. 1st Harley Night
  • Aug. 8th
  • Aug. 15th
  • Aug. 22nd
  • Aug. 29th
  • Sept. 5th
  • Sept. 12th Track Championship

...And if you dont know what it is, here is a good video of the 2006 crashes.

Speedway Crashes 2006
shawnonbikejpg.jpg

Jump This said:
So what is Penhall upto these days?

I regret to tell ya.....he retired just recently from Speedway, in 1982. Boogaloo Bobby Shwartz and Shawn McConnel still race though, I sold my old bike to an old man (75ish) named Hugh Randolph that now races and promotes the Industry Hills track.

juryrigjalopy said:
I regret to tell ya.....he retired just recently from Speedway, in 1982. Boogaloo Bobby Shwartz and Shawn McConnel still race though, I sold my old bike to an old man (75ish) named Hugh Randolph that now races and promotes the Industry Hills track.

Yeah Yeah....I know he retired, but wasn't he getting into the promotional stuff.
Smart ass young SOB!!
I always figured if the bike didn't need brakes it wasn't fast enough!!
:moon:

:D
Rick

I used to go to the Costa Mesa races all the time. Then I realized that I was sitting amongst a bunch of drunken rednecks. That, and I was overcome by the fumes.

Good fun though.

Jump This said:
Yeah Yeah....I know he retired, but wasn't he getting into the promotional stuff.
Smart ass young SOB!!
I always figured if the bike didn't need brakes it wasn't fast enough!!
:moon:

:D
Rick

I didnt know if you were being smart or talking about other things, I just chose the funner answer. I know he tried dezert racing for a while and there are a few Penhalls racing now, I dont know if they are related though. I believe he also races offshore racing boats. His speedway profilesays that he was an actor the TV show CHiPs and some other stuff.

xjohnnyc said:
I used to go to the Costa Mesa races all the time. Then I realized that I was sitting amongst a bunch of drunken rednecks. That, and I was overcome by the fumes.

Good fun though.

Speedwa is hillbilly......but not nearly as hillbilly as flat-trackers, great for mullet watching though.

juryrigjalopy said:
I didnt know if you were being a prick or talking about other things, I just chose the funner answer. I know he tried dezert racing for a while and there are a few Penhalls racing now, I dont know if they are related though. I believe he also races offshore racing boats. His speedway profilesays that he was an actor the TV show CHiPs and some other stuff.

<<Nixon voice: I am not a prick: >>
Always take the funnier route with me.....I am almost never a REAL prick!
;)

Hey, I didnt say prick, I said smart.

Penhall's kids Ryan and Connor are both racing MX at the local level right now. I worked with Ryan back at Pro Circuit, and last I heard; he's turning pro next year.

Back