• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sye yoke measurement

97babyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i am looking for a measurement from the end of the tail-housing to the center of the u-joint on the yoke for a HD sye
and i guess another question, is the stock tail housing and the HD sye housing the same length??
thanx for help

Last edited:
Might want to specift lift amount, more the lift the farther this distance will be.

Sir,

I HOPE you're considering a "Tom Wood's" SYE kit-and if you are NOT, then please, PLEASE refer to his website, for some really IMPORTANT information that his folks have to offer. He is God-like, in his sharing of information to anyone who's even CONSIDERING a mod to their transfer case, or driveshaft(s). He gives the info for FREE, so you have to respect that! He offers advice on his website, for EVERY possible vehicle/transfer case combo, so there's NO excuse for taking the time!

I bought the Tom Woods SYE kit, and while waiting for it's arrival, I freaked myself out with reading the Jeep dealership NP231 manual- MY ADVICE, don't "pre-read" any directions before getting the kit, it'll only make you more anxious, for NO REASON.

I used a simple, stupid "garden variety" tapemeasure, and Tom's folks sent me a DEAD NUTS PERFECT driveshaft, and modification kit. It was about a month before I could put the kit in, so I freaked myself out, reading the NP231 manual.... it seemed like more than I could handle.

I left his directions in my "library", so I struggled for a whole day, for no reason at all- HIS directions were clear, and totally to the point. Had I followed his directions, I would have had 3/4 of a day of effort skipped, and have been able to enjoy the final results that much sooner. PLEASE don't make more work for yourself! It's so incredibly easy, I am ashamed of myself, for making such a big deal of this!

If you are NOT considering a TW shaft, then at least visit his website, so you can get the "real" info a driveshaft maker will need to hook you up. Tom's directions were as easy to follow as can be- and the results were just beyond my belief. The diminsions are very specific, so please follow the directions to the letter- I promise that you'll be glad you did!

:loveu:

97babyXJ said:
is the stock tail housing and the HD sye housing the same length??

Sometimes, depending on the brand of the SYE. The Advance Adapters HD SYE tail housing is about the same length as my 2000 4.0L AW4 NP231 stock tailhousing.

Short and supershort SYE's are available.

97babyXJ said:
i am just looking for the measurement including the tailhousing and yoke on the t-case nothing to do with the driveshaft
7 1/4"

George2 said:
Sir,

I HOPE you're considering a "Tom Wood's" SYE kit-and if you are NOT, then please, PLEASE refer to his website, for some really IMPORTANT information that his folks have to offer. He is God-like

Um, the two shafts I got from him snapped because he doesn't make his greasable...the slip spline seized and snapped the CV in two....not sure which God you're speaking about, but certainly not one I'd worship so faithfully.

George2 said:
I used a simple, stupid "garden variety" tapemeasure, and Tom's folks sent me a DEAD NUTS PERFECT driveshaft, and modification kit. It was about a month before I could put the kit in, so I freaked myself out, reading the NP231 manual.... it seemed like more than I could handle.

Um, that dead nuts perfect DS will work within a variance of inches....its not what you'd call an exact science...just a round about number will suffice. Again, not exactly an example of omniscience.

George2 said:
If you are NOT considering a TW shaft, then at least visit his website, so you can get the "real" info a driveshaft maker will need to hook you up. Tom's directions were as easy to follow as can be- and the results were just beyond my belief. The diminsions are very specific, so please follow the directions to the letter- I promise that you'll be glad you did!

:loveu:

Well, I'm glad you're happy, but the sad fact is Tom Woods is a nice country boy with a small shop that does a damn good job. He is by no means a god, and most people have a local driveline shop that is as high a quality as he produces and will do the work for significantly cheaper. Hell, the folks at PORC produce a SYE kit identical to Tom Woods for $100 less.

And its not that I'm trying to rain on your parade either, but when the second shaft snapped I still had the faith in TW...but, as I was stranded in Lulling, TX on my way home for X-mas vacation, I just couldn't wait the 10 days for Tom to get me a new shaft...instead I went with RE who overnighted a new shaft that day. They're shaft worked just effectively...more so actually, because it was greasable and never snapped on me again. The two busted TW shafts do make bitchin paperweights tho. =)

Back