• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cat question...

XbajajeepX

NAXJA Forum User
I am ordering a dynomax exhaust and a magnaflow high flow cat. Magnaflow has a cat that is specifically for california and another just regular high flow cat. The one for california is more than $100 more. Do you guys think I will still pass smog with there "other" cat? Thanks

Mike

Deppends on where you live really, some cities are a lot crazier than others about their smog regulations. I would honestly suggest paying a little extra for one thats within CA standards, than get caught with my pants down and have to buy another cat all to gether.

You live in CA and Your heep is in CA and you drive your heep in CA so why not get the CA cat. Like stated above you dont wana have to buy another one just because it doesnt have a carb #

XbajajeepX said:
I am ordering a dynomax exhaust and a magnaflow high flow cat. Magnaflow has a cat that is specifically for california and another just regular high flow cat. The one for california is more than $100 more. Do you guys think I will still pass smog with there "other" cat? Thanks

Mike

Hmmmm.....I'm not familiar with a Cal Cat. Could you mean OBD II?
What year is your XJ? I believe '96 and newer Xj's all have the obd II system in them. It may cost you a few bucks more (100? My entire new cat didn't cost more than $160 ) but your computer in your newer model Jeeps needs the info provided by the additional O2 sensor....
:dunno:

I dont know if the other one will but I bought the Magnaflow High-flow Cat for California (OBDII) Emissions vehicles and had that installed along with a new Flowmaster exhaust about a month ago and passed smog no problems. The only problem I had was I ordered the wrong cat (there is a "universal fit" and a "direct fit", both by magnaflow, both for XJs, both for Cali but the "universal" doesnt have a hole for the O2 sensor and the direct-fit does. I got it from Summit.com and they replaced it (had to pay like an extra 40 dollars or so for the difference in price). Anyway, like I said I passed smog with it no problem...I dont know if I am being redundant (I havent read any of the posts other than the original question) but that is my experience.

Just took the time to read the other posts and like Jump this says, the 96 and newer do need the direct-fit cats that have the hole for the O2 sensor...I dont know what he got but my cat cost $263 + shipping and the part number was MPE43226 in case teh link doesnt work. It was more expensive than the other cats on the summit website (I looked at other retailers online as well) but its always better to pay a little more to make sure you get the right one (OBII compliant AND direct fit) because if you get the wrong one its going to delay you that much more to send it back and get the right one (like I had to) and if you dont send it back in new condition (i.e., tried to put it on and didnt pass smog) they wont take it back. here's the link http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE%2D43226&N=700+4294908280+4294908279+4294924746+4294840046+4294923429+4294867633+115&autoview=sku

I know I need to shut up but just to clear up, it was the most expensive cat for for my jeep on the summit website, but was still cheaper there than on any other retailer I could find online. No I dont work for Summit :)

GauchoMD said:
Damn, last post, but if you look under your Jeep at your cat and there is a wire sticking out of the top then you need the one with the airhole (O2 sensor)...like the one I got. Last post I swear.

Oh come on....post again.

High flow cat= larger cat, thats all many of them are!! More honey cone area, more flow, don't go too large though.

Don't pay for the "HIGH FLOW" name.

What year? I've got an '89 that I put a Summit high flow exhaust and cat for $200 shipped if I remember correctly. I can dig up the part numbers if you want. The cat shipped from another supplier, took a little longer but I've passed smog with it no problem. I'm in the Long Beach area so I'd guess the smog standards are pretty high here.

Any additions GauchoMD ? :D

Cherokid

Cherokid said:
What year? I've got an '89 that I put a Summit high flow exhaust and cat for $200 shipped if I remember correctly. I can dig up the part numbers if you want. The cat shipped from another supplier, took a little longer but I've passed smog with it no problem. I'm in the Long Beach area so I'd guess the smog standards are pretty high here.

Any additions GauchoMD ? :D

Cherokid
on pre OBD2 vehicles you can run damn near any cat you can find and it's ok. OBD2 cat's arnt much differnt but usually have markings and provisions that are vehicle specific

I got a non-OBDII due to me passing smog 2 weeks ago. Now i just have to make a fitting for a O2 sensor right behind the cat it's self. And my cat cost me $52 shipped. :D

I bought me 88 cherokee for 300 dollas, 130k miles, no tune-up, cat was nothin but rattlin rocks and passed with flying colors...but maybe the smog gods were jsut smiling upon me.

Back