• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

on board air

aaronh

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 wagon. I am making my a/c into an air compressor. My question is how much pressure does a a/c compressor have. I have a tank that will hold 300# how much will my compressor push.

the compressor clutch is controlled by a pressure switch that will only turn on the compressor to bring the pressure up to say 125psi, then shut off. you will also have a mechanical safety valve that blows off at approx 150psi, so your question about whether a tank rated at 300psi is adequate is not really relavant

I know a guy who did that and he has a tank that maintains 180psi and uses his for air tools on the trail. He even has a hose reel for the air hose but his is a dedicated trail rig.

i have an 89 model same compressor, and just with a pressure gauge put on the end of the compressor it got to 500# in about 5 seconds i had a hydraulic pressure gauge rated at 1000# i shut it off before it bottomed out the gauge. just make sure you have a good pop off valve

BBeach said:
What are the specs as far as CFMs and what psi for a 98xj?

another part of this question its at what rpm since its motor driven the faster the motor is turning the more cfm

ive got this set up on my 91' but dont know how to go about finding my what my cfm is???

BBeach said:
Then in that case, from idle to redline. Also, could you change the pulley for the AC at all?

a smaller pully would turn faster but then at higher psi i wonder how that would change the capablity of the pump bigger pully is easier to turn under a higher load

if you could find a smaller pully that still had the e-clutch then i dont see y you could swap it but ive never heard of it being done

How about CO2? If you're a welder or ever work with gas companies, you can conveniently pickup several CO2 cannisters. It's cheap and it never fails. Plus, it's really really fast compared to most compressors I've seen. ;)

Your a/c compressor will put out close to the 300psi that your tank is rated at. The problem is your realy don't want to run that high. Air tools are rated at 90psi. Any more and they work great but dont last as long. You can get adjustable pressure switches up to your 300psi but a set switch around 125 to 150 is good. As for cfm your compressor should put out 4 to 6cfm. I know on yorks you can change out the pulleys for different applications, they came in many different sizes but as for the sandens I'm not as sure about them. If you are running higher pressure then the belt could slip or you could bust a belt. I have ran my york up over 200psi, thats as high as the gauge would go.

I have a hose reel on mine and its a DD.

Back