• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED flashlights - heads up

Skwerly

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to let all you fine wheelers who carry the AA Maglite on your belt and are tired of the candle-like light and going thru batteries like mad, Wal-Mart has an LED conversion kit for just under 6 bucks that works like a charm! You'll once again love your mini-Mag hehe. One drawback (i guess) is that you lose your flood-to-spot option, once it's on it's just on, but it's very bright and durable too, far as i can tell.

Skwerly said:
Just wanted to let all you fine wheelers who carry the AA Maglite on your belt and are tired of the candle-like light and going thru batteries like mad, Wal-Mart has an LED conversion kit for just under 6 bucks that works like a charm! You'll once again love your mini-Mag hehe. One drawback (i guess) is that you lose your flood-to-spot option, once it's on it's just on, but it's very bright and durable too, far as i can tell.

This from a guy who ownes a RED Cherokee.....
will someone else do a product review for us!!

:D
Nip....

Yeah - Orchard Supply Hardware (the local around here) carries a full line of LED replacement/upgrade kits for Mag lights.

I'd think about getting them, if I didn't already carry a SureFire everywhere... Still, probably be a good thing for the 3D I keep in the rig.

That is a nice cheap option, especially given the price difference between the AA batteries of the minimag and the 3v LI batteries in my surefire lights. Do any of you know the lumin output of the LED converted mini?

Do they make one for the 6 D cell? that would be nice.....but i think my rechargeable streamlight might put out more..

While we are on the subject, i also scored one of those nifty "headlights", the kind that go on your forehead via a strap. This one is LED and man, does it light up lol. These are absolutely awesome at campsites if you are into that sort of thing. Also great for nighttime breakdowns, not that Jeeps break at all.

I had no idea that there were conversion for Mag lites..

Now I have to dig up my mag lites.. The last I remember, I used them for a hammer... I may even have toosed them because they sucked..

I've been using a Streamlite flashlight and would swear by it, of I swore.. A little pricey, but worth every penny...

Elias
Eh-lee-us

EliasJ123 said:
I had no idea that there were conversion for Mag lites..

Now I have to dig up my mag lites.. The last I remember, I used them for a hammer... I may even have toosed them because they sucked..

I've been using a Streamlite flashlight and would swear by it, of I swore.. A little pricey, but worth every penny...

Elias
Eh-lee-us

Some people just don't understand why you would pay $100+ for a flash light....five years old never had one problem with it....super bright....can even handle the occasional drop....If and when this one takes a sht.....I will buy another one

xjjeeper19 said:
Some people just don't understand why you would pay $100+ for a flash light....five years old never had one problem with it....super bright....can even handle the occasional drop....If and when this one takes a sht.....I will buy another one

They are Frick'n BRIGHT too...

I would have never paid that much until I got one as a gift.. WOW.. Now, I would buy another in a heart-beat...

It's like eating top sirloin your whole life and not knowing any difference. Then one day, someone buys you a Filet Minon cooked just right.. Ahhhhhhh..

Elias

It's in my pocket all day long, then charges all night in my toolbox getting ready for the next day....five years of that, still running on the same battery

LED's are hands down the way to go... a Light Emitting Diode, a simple electrical component that when tweaked for a desired application can blow the pants off of any conventional light... as well as the fact that they are much more resilient and tolerant of impact and abuse. with the conversions, you're still dealing with your original flashlight components - so there's no guarantee that your Mag won't wear out - but i'll put my pants on it that the flashlight will wear out before the LED does! the Navy actually has a Mag rechargeable LED flashlight that we use for night-time maintenance on our helicopters... so bright that even when shining it on the ground it hurts your eyes - and stays that bright for a good 4 hours of use, and then you throw it on the charger and it's fully charged again about an hour later...
anyhow, LED's work. efficiently. i stand by them for everything from (obviously helicopter maintenance) camping, fishing, working on your jeep, or when you lose power... whenever, for whatever.

-Stephen

I'm glad my post got such good reactions. I must admit I'm rather new to the LED scene, i got a 2 cell AA one for Christmas this year, and I was like, "Oh, ok, it fits in the Mag belt holder, it's my new best pal.". Then when i saw the mag conversions, i had to jump on it. Actually, i saw my first mag conversion at Johnson Valley, that crazy kook Wallace had one, and i figured it was some high dollar, exotic thing only the folks "in the know" could get. Then i'm killing time at Wal-Mart (puke) and ran across mine for like 5.64. I couldn't believe my eyes lol. Of course i bought it, and revived my long-dead mini-mag! Now i have two of em, and almost don't see the need to get a D cell again, other than it looks manly mounted on the inside of your Jeep ;).

mmmMUD96xj said:
LED's are hands down the way to go... a Light Emitting Diode, a simple electrical component that when tweaked for a desired application can blow the pants off of any conventional light... as well as the fact that they are much more resilient and tolerant of impact and abuse. with the conversions, you're still dealing with your original flashlight components - so there's no guarantee that your Mag won't wear out - but i'll put my pants on it that the flashlight will wear out before the LED does! the Navy actually has a Mag rechargeable LED flashlight that we use for night-time maintenance on our helicopters... so bright that even when shining it on the ground it hurts your eyes - and stays that bright for a good 4 hours of use, and then you throw it on the charger and it's fully charged again about an hour later...
anyhow, LED's work. efficiently. i stand by them for everything from (obviously helicopter maintenance) camping, fishing, working on your jeep, or when you lose power... whenever, for whatever.

-Stephen

I'm not questioning the LED buld.....in fact I'm going to buy one for my 6-cell real soon...but for work I will stick with the stream light

Back