• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 factory fog lights don't work

subtle_driver

NAXJA Forum User
When I bought my xj they didn't work. I tried a few things but I'm stuck and need your help.:skull1:

I checked for power and ground at the lights, I am getting no power but I am getting ground. the fog lights work when power is applied directly to the lights, and to the switch, when the headlights are in the off position only!:arrowl:
The switch is lighting up when the headlights are on and it is in the 'on' position. the switch is ok, i took it apart to double check it. I also found a metal-cased relay with a circut board, that is mounted close; under the switch and I opened that and checked it for functionality, but it works perfect. i checked it because it was clicking when i applied direct power through the switch wiring, so it was logical to check it.

Is there a relay or fuse that can be blown? I checked all the fuses under the steering colum. I hope it is just a simple fuse or relay:tears:

There is a relay that is kind of behind the driver side headlight. I had the same issue after I upgraded my lights- the relay blew. It will just be the typical little black box relay- You can jump that relay if you still have problems with it and just pretty much bypass it. My brother knew which terminals did what on the relay and we just jumped the terminals and they work flawlessly- except for still needing the headlights to be on to make them work, but oh well.

I found that relay you were talking about, and there was no relay, kinda...lastara
So i pushed on in from my junkyard collection, and I have light from the fog lights!!! it is kinda lame that they only kick on when the low beams are on, it would be nice to have them work with the high beams for ultra visibility when crusin' late at night, daylight:sunshine: bright so i can see:eyes:

Back