• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KICK DOWN

jcwxj

NAXJA Forum User
My 1986 XJ will not drop down to a passing gear when throttle is applied. Is this vacum related or something mechanical on carb? It has the 2.8 V6. Iam just now getting it on the road and want to make sure everything works as best it can.
jcwxj

My 96 just did this coming up the mountain this afternoon. People were getting all pi$$ed behind me but I was givin' her all she got. I came home and searched through threads dealing with overdrive and found a few different things to investigate. One was NSS. I looked at the manual and it points to Throttle Valve (TV) cable/linkage adjustment. I tried that first since it takes all of 1 minute to do. It worked. What motor do you have?

He's got the 2.8.
the 2.8 uses a torqueflite trans I believe, so it's probably a mechanical linkage that needs adjusted, but it's vastly different from the AW4.

Back