• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft play.....

VinceYJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I was investigating my front end "click" and found something mildly disturbing on my front driveshaft.
The part just after the front yoke where the splines are covered by the greaseable boot has a hell of a lot of up/down side/side play in it. 1/4" to 1/2" of play. Its definatly not a bad u-joint. I have never seen this much play before...are some of the splines in there stripped or whats the deal?

yikes! not good. one thing im thinking is to get that shaft off right now - with that much angular movement i'd be concerned about it potentially jamming/freezing up movement and causing big bang on the xfer case...but im a little over protective :) yur gonna have to pull it apart anyhow to figure out wut is goin on....

Its the centering ball. It can cause bad vibes,weird noises and kill u-joints. Its kind of weird how it goes together but if you take your time when pulling it apart you will have no problem. I have the part # laying around if you need it, retails around 53$ U.S.

Pull it apart and check it out....its easy....mark the two halves so the index wil be correct if you put it back together.

Back