• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CV Front driveshaft?

barillms said:
Do ALL XJs and MJs come with double cardan CV front driveshafts?
What's a good replacement driveshaft for 6.5" of lift and long arms?

Yes, they did. A good replacement is an aftermarket one, from Tom Woods, ect... You Might be able to get away with a front one in the rear, but you might want to do some measurements before hand. HTH some.

A good replacement is available at any driveline shop. Check around for local shops that way you dont have to pay for shipping and also you can take the rig to them to double check measurements.

AARON

My 1988 MJ I just bought has a normal "rear" type driveshaft up front. NO CV joint, just a yoke on the front of the TC.

What is the Spicer yoke part # I need for a double cardan application on the front output of the NP231?

I use a front CV driveshaft in the back of my XJ off a NV241 Rock Trac t-case and it works good. It's a little stretched out due to my Ford 9" and 8" lift, but it still works in the front and back.

I like having the stock driveshaft because it is easy to get and a good drivetrain fuse. I rather replace a broken driveshaft then a broken axle shaft anyday not just due to the cost, but the trouble in doing it.

Troy

Sweet, thats exactly what I was looking for. With 6.5" lift and long arms that additional 2" is perfect, and the CV shaft is what I want.

Will the Grand shaft bolt up? Or do I need a yoke too?

Later years with the low pinion D30 should be a tad longer. Also the auto front shaft will be 1" longer than the manual. As I recall some of the very early XJ/MJs had a CV joint at the xfer case end. Everything after that had a double-cardan (ujoint) at the xfer case.

lawsoncl said:
Later years with the low pinion D30 should be a tad longer. Also the auto front shaft will be 1" longer than the manual. As I recall some of the very early XJ/MJs had a CV joint at the xfer case end. Everything after that had a double-cardan (ujoint) at the xfer case.
LP D30 uses the same shaft as the HP D30's!

barillms said:
Do ALL XJs and MJs come with double cardan CV front driveshafts?
What's a good replacement drive shaft for 6.5" of lift and long arms?

No they did not. Early XJ's 84, 85, 86 came with GKN style front drive shafts.

I know about the GKN junk shafts, I hate those things.

So what do most people do once they get up to 6" or more of lift?
The V8 ZJ swap seems like a good idea?
Any other ideas for front shafts? Swaps? Donors? Please be specific.

I've used a front CV shaft from a full size Jeep Wagoneer.. .late 70s early 80s and it fit with about 4.5" of lift.

I'm not spending $300 on a new custom shaft

Back