• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ball joint replacement

dbswede

NAXJA Member # 1516
sorry I posted the first title on the wrong forum....here we go again...I have done a search on ball joints and it is too general.....could sombody send me a thread on ball joint replacement for a 93 xj???????????
thanks
dbswede

Geepfreak said:
http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARadjustableBallJoints/adjustableballjoints.htm

there's one, is states for adjustable ball joints, but the proccess is still the same.

I recently did one side on a 99. I bought a SPICER upper and lower kit for about $50 from a local 4X4.
The kit contained the two BJs, nuts and cotter pins and a threaded split sleeve.
During the installation I did not see where I could possibly use that sleeve.
Now I am getting ready to do both sides on my 96. I bought two more kits, they too contain the split sleeve.
Where does it go?
BTW I believe that the beating that it takes to remove the knuckle will damage a good BJ, therefore I would never change just one of them on the same side. I think that's the reason why SPICER cells them as sets only.

The split sleeve is used to set ball joint preload in the lower ball joint (since the upper one bears the weight of the vehicle, preload is set that way.

The split sleeve comes out fairly easily - it just unscrews. However, it's also possible to reuse the one in there (I did, there were no defects that I noted,) and I just put the new ones in the spares box.

Another little factoid - I don't use cotter pins. I use mechanic's safety pins, which I find easier to deal with, and can be reused if I need to service whatever item in the field. I'll usually replace them in the shop, but it's nice knowing that they can be reused (and they provide a convenient way to keep track of the castellated nuts - put them on the safety pin, find a body hole, and hook the pin through the hole. Easy.)

5-90

5-90 said:
The split sleeve is used to set ball joint preload in the lower ball joint (since the upper one bears the weight of the vehicle, preload is set that way.

Still confused!
That split sleeve, is it present in all knuckles in all D 30 axles or only some of them.
I just finished reading the 96 and 99 FSM "ball stud replacement"
There is no mention of any split sleeve.
What's the deal?

As far as I know, it's included with ALL ball joints, but it may or may not be used (it, properly, should be.)

It's also on D44 - and there's a special spanner socket that makes removing that one easy (I have one.) However, you should be able to worry the thing out with a regular screwdriver if you need to remove it.

5-90

5-90 said:
As far as I know, it's included with ALL ball joints, but it may or may not be used (it, properly, should be.)

It's also on D44 - and there's a special spanner socket that makes removing that one easy (I have one.) However, you should be able to worry the thing out with a regular screwdriver if you need to remove it.

5-90

Never saw the damn thing, either missed it completely when I removed the knuckle or my knuckle doesn't use one. If I was stupid enough to miss it, then I need to take it apart again which will destroy the BJs, replace the BJs and install and tighten the sleeve.
Unless no sleeve is used in my knuckle.
I need to know if every D30 knuckle uses these sleeves. If not, what years use it.

Back