• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternitive rear tow point

dabeersboys

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering, is there any way of puting a tow point in the rear other than from a reciver hitch or custom bumper. Also does any one know if the nut rails for a reciver hitch are different from the late 80's XJ, to the Newer 90's XJ?
Basically i'm just looking to get a tow point with out spending alot of money, like less that 50 bucks....
Thanks for your Help!
-Matt

dabeersboys said:
I was just wondering, is there any way of puting a tow point in the rear other than from a reciver hitch or custom bumper. Also does any one know if the nut rails for a reciver hitch are different from the late 80's XJ, to the Newer 90's XJ?
Basically i'm just looking to get a tow point with out spending alot of money, like less that 50 bucks....
Thanks for your Help!
-Matt
A hitch from the boneyard should not run you more then $50 (And if you do it right it will come with nut rails).

Otherwise there is a STOCK rear towpoint which consists of a single nut strip (drivers side) a special bracket that spreads the load and a tow hook that attaches to it. You will probably pay more for that bracket and everything needed for it then you would for the rear hitch.

I've got a hitch, and the nut rail, the nut rails line up when I look at them out side of the unibody, but one I put them in they don't seem to line up. Thanks for the help!
If any one else has some ideas I'd love to hear them!
Thanks
-Matt

dabeersboys said:
I've got a hitch, and the nut rail, the nut rails line up when I look at them out side of the unibody, but one I put them in they don't seem to line up. Thanks for the help!
If any one else has some ideas I'd love to hear them!
Thanks
-Matt

If you have the nut rails that came out of an XJ look into why they are not lining up cause AFAIK nutrails have the same fit going all the way back in years. Oh yeah if the problem is that you can't catch thread once you put it in, you might have to progressively tighten it: start with the bumper end and then go one bolt at a time to bring the nutrail down.

There is a left side and a right side nutstrip. They are the same for all years. Jeep part numbers 52001174 and 52001175. The pic is from the factory service manual. The link is for the fullsize pic.

Edit: Sorry, posting of copyrighted material is verboden.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of aftermarket rear tow hooks. They're made by 4x4TrailHunters (the owner is a NAXJA member). There's a nutstrip inside the frame, and a plate on the underside sandwiches it. The towhook bolts go through the frame and both plates. I got them because they were inexpensive, and they're holding up just fine after a few pulls.

Mambeu said:
I have a set of aftermarket rear tow hooks. They're made by 4x4TrailHunters (the owner is a NAXJA member). There's a nutstrip inside the frame, and a plate on the underside sandwiches it. The towhook bolts go through the frame and both plates. I got them because they were inexpensive, and they're holding up just fine after a few pulls.
So is the towhook only attached to the single frame rail? Or is that plate spreading the load to something else too?

Another thing: depending how you're stuck the towhook might be a PITA (if not impossible) to get to while the hitch will be always rather accessible.

The factory rear hook consists of an L shaped bracket, costs around $21 and bolts to the drivers side nut plate, if you have a factory gas tank skid you already have it in there, if not you need to pick one up. I think the last price I remember hearing was $19. As for the hook, it will take any 3 hole jeep hook.
This is what it looks like
http://www.rjpsystems.com/rearhook.jpeg
I replaced mine with a tomken rear bumper w/2" receiver, that also bolts to the nut plate.

No offense, but trying to save money on your tow points is not too smart. You get cheapo tow points--or none at all--and then when you get yanked out by them you can do many hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars worth of damage. That's if you're lucky; if you're not lucky the tow hook tears loose, goes flying, and kills someone.

Spend what you have to spend to get GOOD tow points, front and rear. Either that, or do NOT go 4-wheeling! (At least, not when I'm around!)

Back