• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windows Won't Go Down!

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj Power Windows

all the little lights that are on the 4 power window switches and power lock are on, but when you try to put the windows down they don't move and the lights on the switches go out.

how should i attack this?
i thought maybe the description with the lights might help diagnose.?.
power locks work fine.

dumbagain said:
2000 xj Power Windows

all the little lights that are on the 4 power window switches and power lock are on, but when you try to put the windows down they don't move and the lights on the switches go out.

how should i attack this?
i thought maybe the description with the lights might help diagnose.?.
power locks work fine.

Let me guess: the windows won't roll down except from the driver's side switch panel?

It's fairly common on 2000 and 2001 XJs for the window lock switch in the driver's switch cluster to fail - my 2000 has that problem, but my '01 escaped that fate for some reason. In any event, the options are either a) replace it with a new switch cluster (pricey and may fail again in the future), b) take it out and clean the switches (again, wait for it to fail), or c) bypass the window lock altogether; some searching should dig up the thread in which this was discussed.

FWIW, I went with option b) - yeah, I'll probably have to end up cleaning it again in a year or two, but the dielectric grease I applied should help with that - it's also certainly cheaper than a), and I'd like to have the window lock remain functional.

I believe it's a 97+ issue, not just limited to 2000-2001....my 99 is suffering from this. Easy fix is to have the passenger hold the switch in the direction they want, while I bang on the back of the control panel...works for me :D

Ex-wife had the same problem. . . .

is it too tricky to remove the door panels? i have never taken off a cherokee door panel will i run into any problems?

i could change my speakers while they are off too! driver side never worked

dumbagain said:
is it too tricky to remove the door panels? i have never taken off a cherokee door panel will i run into any problems?

i could change my speakers while they are off too! driver side never worked

Without knowing your level of ability, hard to say? But whenever I'm unsure how something is assembled, I go to a pick-a-part salvage yard and learn there on similar before tackling my own.

Typically what you will find is the connection for the power window lock is unsupported and the solder connection breaks. Reapply solder and it should work like new.

Door panels are fairly easy to remove. I bet if you id the wires that go through the lower door to the a pillar for your speaker and fiddle with them it starts working again....another problematic area for the 97+

Back