• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ homemade security center console

sharpie1k

NAXJA Forum User
so, with doorless time coming around the corner, I started to think about security, because I don't know about you, but I don't want little pricks scouring my Jeep. So naturally, I thought about the center console. I looked at the Tuffy website, and while they sell stuff for XJ's, they only sell for the pre-97. Quadratec, too, has nothing, as does 4wd, for the 97+. So I figured, if I am going to have to modify something, I might as well make something myself. And today, my mind was made up in the form of a lock at work. It was a generic paddle style lock, with two keys.

DSC00240.jpg

And thus began the work.

I started by removing the center console (2 screws)

DSC00241.jpg

I drilled a pilot hole (3/16"), just for good measure, because I didn't want to screw anything up.

DSC00242.jpg

Then, I stepped it up to a 3/8" bit

DSC00243.jpg

Now, the lock cylinder is flat on two sides, and round on the others. To keep the cylinder from moving, I drilled as big as the thin, flat side (5/8") with my step bit. Then, I reamed out the edges where the round side of the cylinder would sit. Once I got it perfect, to where the cylinder would go in with a bit of pressure, and to where the lock would be pointing straight to the front of the vehicle, I put the nut on the other side, and tightened it down. Then I tested it, and the cylinder didn't move :cool:

Here is how it looks

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00246.jpg

Then, I went to the Jeep, and put the center console top on. I then knocked the lock against the front edge of the inner side of the console bucket, to make a mark where I needed to drill. After using the step bit to drill out about a quarter inch, I moved it along the plastic, reaming a line in the bucket's wall.

DSC00248.jpg

Make sure the lock locks in before you put the hinge on. Do this by engaging the plastic clip, and turning the lock to "lock", making sure it engages. Once you have it how it should be, screw in the hinge, and now you have a locking console!

DSC00249.jpg

Conclusions: now, needless to say, I will not be held responsible if your console gets ripped into and stuff is stolen. Other than that, just don't put anything really valuable in this, because if your doors are off, a criminal is going to get into it if he/she really wants to. That, and remember that the bucket is plastic, and can't withstand as much pressure as steel. Hope this helps someone, it sure helped me. Mine is ghetto rigged right now, and one day I might make it pretty, but function over form. Happ

Should try to find some kind of plastic washer or trim that could make the arm rest look a lil nicer. Great Idea. I'd do that to my 93 but the center console isn't screwed down so it'd be stupid.

Back