• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 electrical issues

Rockslut

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 4dr 4.0, auto , 4x4
I just purchased the vehicle and am having issues. The horn, turn signals and rear defrosters dont work. The fuses are all good, as are any relays. The horns have been tested and work. I just replaced the ignition switch.

There are no cuts in the wiring or any obvious damage. I dont have a FSM but plan too. There is no power to the defroster switch but there is power through the fuse. The 4 way flashers do work. This model has the combonation flasher under the steering column, not the two seperate flashers like older models.

Any help is appreciated.

Do you have electric locks/windows? Do those work? Do you hear the horn relay click when you press the button?

There is a ground location under the headlamp switch that provides a common ground to the horn, signals and rear window element. If there is corrosion in that ground you could lose those systems. Generally speaking, the math goes something like this: power through the fuses + a non-working system = a bad ground.

Manual windows, and locks. I have seen the ground under the headlight switch but I have not removed it to check for corrosion. It appears fine but I will check it. I agree about the fuse to bad ground issue.

I'll try jump in a new ground also.

Replaced the ignition switch and still nothing. The ground below the dash is fine and I can not find any other loose grounds or anything. Anyone with a FSM that could send some wiring info my way?

I have the FSM but the diagrams are spread all over the place. I can scan a couple of the pertinent pages if needed, but first, just a few things to check:

The horn uses fuse 4 in the fuse block and also fuse 3 in the power distribution center. The relay gets its ground signal through the horn button. The horns are grounded in place.

The heated rear window relay and the combination flasher share a ground. Turn signals use PDC fuses 4 and 6, and fuse 8 in the fuse block.

Rear defroster uses PDC fuses 6 and 7, and fuse block fuses 8 and 18.

I'd check all those fuses, and try a test light to see if you can find out whether or not current is getting where it should.

PM me if you want some scans. It might take a while because I'm trying to get my taxes done too.

Thanks Matt. I will try to check these tomorrow. I believe that all of the fuses are good. I have swapped all of the fuses at the fuse panel and checked all of the fuses at under the hood 3 times.

Back