• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what are bump stops

kbradner

NAXJA Forum User
what are bump stops? How do you adjust them? I am wanting to run 35's with my 4.5 lift. I have done some trimming but when I hit a bump hard my 33's rub or when I get them in a bind. what do I need to do to run 35's?

A "bump stop" is pretty much what it sounds like - it "stops" moving parts when you hit a "bump."

You should be able to identify them easily - they're little more than blocks of rubber with mounting brackets. If you lift or install larger tyres, you need longer bump stops to keep the tyres from hitting the chassis.

How much longer? Hopefully, someone else here can answer that - because I don't know.

is this fo real, check out gojeeps site. ive only had my xj since oct of 06, and some of my favorite sites are ericsxj.com and gojeeps site. some folks call them snubbers.

kbradner said:
what are bump stops? How do you adjust them? I am wanting to run 35's with my 4.5 lift. I have done some trimming but when I hit a bump hard my 33's rub or when I get them in a bind. what do I need to do to run 35's?
Disconnect your shocks to make sure they are not hindering your articulation and....
Put her on a flex ramp and flex untill just before your tire gets into your sheet metal,crawl under(make sure its in park)and measure from the top of the axle tube in the rear to the bottom of the factory bump stop.This is how long your extended bump stops need to be.In the front measure from the bottom of the factory stopper to the top of the coil spring bucket and note the measurement.
Hint:Hockey pucks are cheap and work well in the front for extending bumps in the front.In the rear you can weld a plate off of the side of the spring plate to give you a little extension,I forget how much though....you'll have to search that.
**edit**
OK!!! I feel like an idiot because after I typed all the above info I looked at the rock lizard site and it says pretty much the same thing!!!

Last edited:
Back