• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Shreik

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
Well just recently my 2000 XJ has started making some shreiking noises when turning occassionally... I'm almost positive that it is the power steering, but I'd like to know what the cure for the noise is. Thanks.

Well, maybe a dumb question - but is the power steering fluid full, but not overfilled?

Secondly, maybe you could try some Lucas additive. It's supposed to quiet down noisy PS pumps as well.

Third, you could replace the pump. After you return your core at AutoZone, they are 90 bucks for a complete pump....It's more until you return your old pump though, so don't get frightened when it comes up as $120.00. Simple to change!

That's about all I have to suggest.....I've never had that (noisy) problem, besides a leaky pump which was replaced.

yellowta said:
Have you checked the fluid and the belt?

belt is new...

If you noticed the squealing after installing the bet - yes, the belt can be loose, or, maybe a pully or idler pully was bad and the added tension of tighening the new belt is stressing it.........or maybe the belt is over tightened.

With the vehicle off, how far can you twist the belt over if you use your fingers? Since the belt is horizontal you shouldn't be able to twist it any further than vertical.......pretty "ghetto" method of belt testing but it's the next best thing if you don't have the proper belt tension check tool.

I'd put my money on the belt. I run with Goodyear Gatorback belts and will never use anything else on my truck. If you didn't get a Gatorback, do yourself a big favor and switch to one. They're about $30, but worth every penny. Make sure it is properly tensioned as the posts above suggest. New belts can make a lot of noise if not tightened properly.

New Belts also stretch and get looser than they were when first installed. I always go back and re-tighten belts a couple hundred miles after installation.

Back