• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deleting the AC system?!

JoeOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I have an 89 XJ 4.0. I have a horrific squeal comming from what I thought was the idler pully. Replaced the pulley (turns out bearing was bad) and the belt. But still have the horrific squeal, Its my ac pump. I just want to delet it. I call all of those brilliant people from NAXJA to please help a poor lost guy from the 'couve out! Pictures would also be sweet to! I figure taking out the ac will also help me clean up the engine compartment a ton as well. Thankyou in advance for all the help! -Joe

You can replace the A/C with an Idler Pulley which I just did a few months ago. It works great. I got mine at the Jeep Dealer since my friends works at the one in Cherry Hill, NJ. Or you could go the cheaper way and get an Idler Pulley from the Junk Yard and replace the Bearing in there for like 5 bucks at a auto part store. I took out most of the A/C system stuff all but the A/C Heater Switch. Works Great!:eeks1:

You replace the AC with an other idler pully? So it gives you a total of 2 right next to eachother? By chance could you get a pic? I work at a parts house and cant find a belt even for a non-ac set-up... ohy...

Yes the Idler Pulley replaces the A/C .. just like the XJs that did not have A/C got this Idler Pulley. You use the same size belt as if you still had A/C. I will get pics for you next week. I'm in Beamont, Texas right now..Going back home this Friday..so I'll get them to you when I get back to Jersey. The Idler Pulley has a mount that bolts to where the A/C was.

I don't know if this works on XJs, but YJs with AC you can just remove the compressor and get the belt for a 4.0 w/o AC.

I have been waiting for this thread forever. I HATE A/C! Isn't there a sensor somewhere that tells the ecu that you have activated the A/C, therefor bumping up the fuel flow just a little. ?? And what happens when you put the control switch over to the A/C? Vacum lines and MAX Relay And Blah blah blah!!??

Back