• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Slipping?

Sam Im Is

NAXJA Forum User
Doing some wheeling about a week ago and sheared a piece of the yoke. This caused some play in the driveshaft, broke the retaining brackets and snapped the u joint. Pulled the driveshaft out there and drove it home 4 wheel drive being easy on it. Put a new yoke, u joint, and brackets on. Filled the transfer case with more fluid. Started to drive it and it drove fine for a while then as I would drive the RPM's would go up and down up and down without me even pressing gas harder. Is this the tranny slipping? I drained the fluid in the tranny and changed the filter put more fluid back in. Figured maybe I had the nut on the yoke to tight so I unbolted the shaft again pulled the nut off, took the wheels off the back and started turning the yoke and tightening the nut again to get the right resistance. Drove it after that and it drove fine for a few miles then started acting up again. Could this be something in the rear diff. or is it the tranny slipping?

I'm still thinking this one over, but I think it may be the tranny unless the yoke splines are somehow sheared.

I'm in Roanoke also, PM me if you still can't find the problem and I'll check it out in person or help you find someone to help you!

Yea i've been working on this thing for a week now trying different stuff still nothing, wierd thing was when i drove it home in 4 wheel never slipped or anything, I think ima drop the drive shaft and pull it again, drive it in 4 wheel see if still slips. that should let me know whether its in the tranny or differential right?

The RPM is changing, its going up and down while i try and keep a constant speed. Its jumping up 5 and 600 RPM's then going back down, then jumping up again. Just back and forth, you can hear it, feel it, and see it on the tach.

there's no way something in the rear end could be slipping that badly and not make really bad noises. It's all gear driven.
The only thing that could slip and be quiet is the trans clutch packs, but I'm with Langer in suspecting that your TC is locking and unlocking, usually when a trans starts slipping it doesn't let the RPMs come back down, it just slips and slips until it overheats and dies.

Back