• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where do I find a pressurized coolant tank?

GroversXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently got one of those catalogs of aftermarket jeep parts which I fliped thru :read: and threw away, but I did notice that there was a new company making the pressurized coolant resovoir tank for the closed cooling system out of aluminum (diamond plate or standard) which allows you to use a standard radiator cap instead of the leak prone plastic tank. Anyways I just was out this weekend wheelin and even though I just replaced my plastic tank last summer, it now has a pin hole leak in it again and needs to be replaced. I have been looking online this morning to try and find the company who was selling the new alumium tanks but I can't find it. Do any of you know what company it was that had these new aluminum pressure tanks in their most recent catalog? I've looked on quadratec and 4wd's website but can find it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

This place has a variety of tanks. http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/tanks/expansion_tanks.html. A bit pricey and you do loose the ability to site the coolant level without pull the cap. It would let you run a higher pressure cap too. I think the closed system ran at 6-psi when the crappy plastic cap actually works. Someone mentioned a few vehicles that came with metal tanks stock. I don't recall what car/truck, but it would be nice to just grab one at the local pull-n-save.

Before I dropped $120 on a aluminum tank, I'd consider buying a new radiator for $120 from radiator barn and converting to the open setup. Heck, I did that instead of replacing the $20 plastic crap, but I knew I had a semi-plugged radiator too.

I'm running this tank from Moroso.
mor-63651_w.jpg

I'd recommend the billet neck over the stamped. Summit has them for around 100 bones.

-Jon

Thanks for the replies, The macs radiator tanks are the ones I was thinking of but another company was selling them in the catalog I got.
I don't have a problem with having a closed cooling system in my cherokee, I just have a major problem with having to replace my plastic pressure tank every year because it springs a leak every summer when I go wheeling in 115 Deg. weather in the SoCal High Desert.
If one of these new aluminum pressure tanks are going to almost cost the same as a new radiator I may as well buy a new radiator with a filler cap because I do overheat during the summer time anytime I go wheelin in this heat. By overheating I mean riding the red line boiling the coolant.
Thanks for the help.

Do a search on surge tanks which is what they are called, I posted a whole bunch of links to surge tank suppliers about 2 or 4 months ago and I'm pretty sure thats what I posted it under...

Back