• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 35 to a 44

bigboyslimjimbo

NAXJA Forum User
im pretty new to the lifted xj scene but i currently have a rustys 3" full pack kit and 31's. but i want to eventually go to 33's when i have another everyday driver. but i am curious on how you can swap the dana 35 in the rear for an axel big enough to handle the 33's. im open to what yall have to say.see i dont know if i can keep the same axel housing and beef it up so i can run those tires or what so. im kinda confused. if any of u guys could clear this up i would appreciate it.

ditch the 35, it's weak.
a few questions:
What year is your XJ?
Do you have ABS?
What drivetrain do you have in your XJ?

The easiest swap would be a D44 from an 87-89 XJ (rare) or an 8.25 from a 97+ XJ, (plentiful)
Both are about the same strength, both would bolt in. The only real question is do you have ABS? If you do, you'll have to come up with something for the tone rings, or delete the ABS system.

bigboyslimjimbo said:
wat about up front. would i have to swap the 30??

You're getting into a Grey area. There are different opinions on this. It depends how you are on the skinny pedal, if you plan on locking it... yada, yada, yada. You can upgrade it too.

If you are a reasonable driver, the 30 will be fine. you may want to upgrade to newer 290X shafts though.

ok good thats wat i wanted to know. so ur sayin if i dont dog all the time i should be fine with th 30 and if i want to be a little safer i can upgrade the original shafts right. so before i decide to go bigger to 33's i should get a 8.25 out of a cherokee from a junk yard or somethin and probably beef up the front shafts.

My advice would start by reading Crashes Thread on this subject. Don't rule out a 8.8 ford rear for a inexpensive alternative. My .02
Russ

bigboyslimjimbo said:
ok good thats wat i wanted to know. so ur sayin if i dont dog all the time i should be fine with th 30 and if i want to be a little safer i can upgrade the original shafts right. so before i decide to go bigger to 33's i should get a 8.25 out of a cherokee from a junk yard or somethin and probably beef up the front shafts.

Yea pretty much, the D35 should go either way. The D44 would be the better choice if you can find one at a reasonable price(because it's not a C clip and has more upgrade ability), but an 8.25 with 29 splines would be fine.

As for the ABS, You'll have to just take a look under the hood and at the wheels to see if there's sensors.

Please read up here:

http://208.101.10.250/~naxjaor1/forum/showthread.php?t=80707

Also using the search tool will bring you a whole lot more to read and sort through..
but hit this 1st: http://208.101.10.250/~naxjaor1/forum/showthread.php?t=73349
It really will make a difference in your searches..

Now with that out of the way.

I am going the D44 route to replace my D35, you could also do a direct swap with a Chryo 8.25 from the salvage yard.. but you wont be able to gear lower then 4.56's. That would be a quick and easy "band aid"

But the 8.8 can be had for the same price usually "local to me about $250 an axle from end to end. But there is Fab work involved.. so read up, thats how i figured out all mine. You can go fast cheap or long expensive.. thats what i learned..

what i am doing:

D44 from 87 xj -$300
U.S. Alloy 30 Spline axles shafts $225
ARB locker $750 ish LOL [dont want to get anyone in trouble ]
Teraflex Disk brake conversion. $415
4.88 gears $1500 with install of all listed items above
=$3000 [Ish]

Front axle is whole other animal, CRASH's write up is great:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70422&highlight=axles+for+rocks

Way more expensive to complete, truss or complete replacement, fab work. steering and axles.. dough dough dough.....

aroncull said:
what i am doing:

D44 from 87 xj -$300
U.S. Alloy 30 Spline axles shafts $225
ARB locker $750 ish LOL [dont want to get anyone in trouble ]
Teraflex Disk brake conversion. $415
4.88 gears $1500 with install of all listed items above
=$3000 [Ish]

Wow. And I thought *I* spent too much money polishing an axle. You didnt at least go 33 or 35 spline while you did that setup? It would have been about the same cost..

cal said:
Wow. And I thought *I* spent too much money polishing an axle. You didnt at least go 33 or 35 spline while you did that setup? It would have been about the same cost..

I thought about it and decided to stick with the 30 splines so that i could use my stockers as back ups.. OH WELL! [Not sure i actually thought about it, maybe i was just talking myself into it again, and again and again]:roll:

aroncull said:
I thought about it and decided to stick with the 30 splines so that i could use my stockers as back ups.. OH WELL! [Not sure i actually thought about it, maybe i was just talking myself into it again, and again and again]:roll:

I did that the first time around.

Now i have another ARB and a pair of 35 spline shafts sitting in the garage, waiting for time. I'd rather buy another aftermarket shaft as a spare and leave it at camp than continue carrying a stock 30 spline spare on the trail with me.

I also went all 30 spline and CTM up front, and carry just a pair of stub axles now for spares.

Back