• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

over heating

mattlh113089

NAXJA Forum User
i got my first jeep for $300 last december its a 1990 cherokee lared. i finally started tryin to get it on the road. everything on it seem fine except it over heating. i can go down the road fine but at low speeds like when i'm screwin around on a trail and stuff it starts over heating i was thinking maybe im not getting good enough flow through my radiator or maybe i just dont have enough coolant. down here in texas i dont have much need for anti-freeze so its mainly water but my jeep doesnt have a cap on the radiator so would i fill it through what would be over flow or resevoir on a diff vehichle. couldt my thermostat be the wrong temp.? i know it cycles so the thermo. is working. please help i'm new to cherokee's. btw another quick question what does "mall rated" mean?:huh:

A couple of easy things.

1st - It fills thru the pressure bottle, it is not an overflow and the cap must be tight, and good, to hold the pressure.

2nd - You need to use a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze, water alone ain't gonna cut it.

Rev

Rev Den said:
A couple of easy things.

1st - It fills thru the pressure bottle, it is not an overflow and the cap must be tight, and good, to hold the pressure.

2nd - You need to use a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze, water alone ain't gonna cut it.

Rev

thanks

May want to do a search for overheating also.

there is so much information here that to try and cover everything would be chancing leaving something out. Let us know how the above goes, and if you have further questions...we are all here to help.

Rev

"btw... What does "mall-rated" mean?"... Apparently Jeep's new rating system for some of their new smaller suv's... LOL :laugh:

Look on Ebay for the cherokee pressure bottle. theres a ton of em. usually around 15-20 $ and NEW...NOT from a junkyard.
If its the stock bottle in that 1990, its most likely leaking, and if not, itll be leaking soon. Down here with our triple digit summers,...these engines need all the help they can get. They are crammed in that little engine bay and will overheat if given the chance.
that bottle is a big issue. If the cap is leaking any pressure at all, the coolant system wont work properly.
You may want to consider a coolant system flush..or at least run some of the aftermarket cleaner thru it.Some believe in that stuff, some dont.
And like was mentioned before, you still need antifreeze/ COOLANt in there at 50/50. It does two things, raises the bioling point of the water, helping in summer, and loweres the freezing point, helping in winter.
If it still overheats after making sure the bottle is leak free and assuring you
have adequate coolant, you might need to check your thermostat and mabye water pump. Good luck. these summers can be harsh...I just put some louvers on my hood from a 280Z. I think itll help ..mabye too much :p

Back