• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lets have this gas tank skid question answered!

green50gt

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, just went through about 20 pages of archives on gas tank skids. Question was not answered to my liking.

1. Will a PRE 97 gas tank skid fit a POST 97 XJ? Yes or No.
If yes, Is it a direct bolt on?
If no, what EXACTLY needs to happen to make it fit?
If yes and no, explain.

2. Will I be better served to get a gas tank skid from a ZJ? From my searching I am to the understanding that a ZJ is the same, however a couple of holes will need to be drilled.

My particular jeep is a 98. I will need a nutstrip on the drivers side...no biggie, and I do not have a hitch if that matters. I will be replacing the fuel pump soon and want to do it all in one shebang.

please let myself and others know the answer to this question. Thanks.

1. Will a PRE 97 gas tank skid fit a POST 97 XJ?
NO

If no, what EXACTLY needs to happen to make it fit?
IT is a different mounting system

2. Will I be better served to get a gas tank skid from a ZJ? From my searching I am to the understanding that a ZJ is the same, however a couple of holes will need to be drilled.

Correct I have a 2000 and it works just fine

I stripped a fuel tank skid off a junked '89 XJ and tried in vain to install it on my '99 Cherokee. No luck. The bolts seem to line up but my newer '99 tank is way too large for the skid.

I now have a good condition vintage fuel tank skid for sale in the Sacramento area that I will give to somebody for a real good price. I even have the bolts if you need them.

rocknxj said:
I stripped a fuel tank skid off a junked '89 XJ and tried in vain to install it on my '99 Cherokee. No luck. The bolts seem to line up but my newer '99 tank is way too large for the skid.

I now have a good condition vintage fuel tank skid for sale in the Sacramento area that I will give to somebody for a real good price. I even have the bolts if you need them.

this type of post belongs in the for sale forum

Matthew Currie said:
It's a direct answer of the original question, based on experience. I'd have said the "for sale" part is peripheral.
I think he was joking actually.

I actually just stumbled back upon this, I asked this question a while back. I simply installed a ZJ gas tank skid. Had to drill 2 new holes, and hog out 2 others. It hangs down about 2 inches or so lower than what it probably should, but it does the job, and I picked it up in a boneyard for like $15.

IMG_0163.jpg

that hangs down really far, looks like it would be easy to beat up with it that low too.

I have a 1996 XJ and I put a 1991 gas tank skid on mine. It was a really tight fit and it worked good until it viberated my fuel pump housing, causing it to leak. Time to break out the sledgehammer when I put it back on so I can pound out the tight areas. I like the ZJ look. One of these days I am going to make ten of these skid plates at work and sell them because I know how hard they are to find these days.

I'm hurt. I thought you guys like me. I really, really did.

I have other stuff for sale too. Should I mention it here, or would I get hollered at again?

:angel:

No, typically items for sale would be placed in the classifieds section.

Yeah, the zj skid is definitely not a tight fitting one...there is about a 2 inch gap in between the gas tank and the skid.

Hopefully I am not hyjacking this thread but I am curious to know what experiences people have with aftermarket bumpers and aftermarket skid plates. I guess I am just curious if for instance a Rusty's skid plate interfears with saw a Warn rear bumper...? Or something similar. I haven't picked out what I want quite yet.

If I am out of line, please let me know and I start a new thread.

Back