• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1985 2.8 ENGINE SWAP

oldwillys

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1985 with the 2.8 gm engine and auto trans engine is bad. I can get a gm 2.8 from a 89 s10 anyone know a reason this would not work.
Thanks Ed

it should work just have to switch out all the manifolds and the brakets. They made a 2.8 with a Dbl overhead cam that makes about 210 HP I wish I would have went that route when I did my swap. The block might have different mounting points on it also.

1985xjlaredo said:
it should work just have to switch out all the manifolds and the brakets. They made a 2.8 with a Dbl overhead cam that makes about 210 HP I wish I would have went that route when I did my swap. The block might have different mounting points on it also.

When did GM make a DOHC 2.8?

To the OP, I'd look into replacing it with a 3.4, same block, bigger bore.

IslanderOffRoad said:
When did GM make a DOHC 2.8?

To the OP, I'd look into replacing it with a 3.4, same block, bigger bore.

The LQ1 was a 3.1L version of that engine adapted to DOHC. It was used in Luminas, Grand Prix's, and Monte Carlos.

But honestly, just bite the bullet and go for a 4.0 swap, it'll be much more worth it.

Thanks for the feedback from information here and some reading I did at the Novak site i will be rethinking the 2.8 idea

Yes it is very easy to swap a 4.0 with an XJ that is 87 and newer. They modified the firewall to accommodate the 4.0 If you have the GM engine, you can use the 3.4 as a popular swap, as stated before.

I've decided to replace my 2.8 with the 3.4, in fact, if you go back to the 60degreev6 board that you posted on, you'll see my post asking for advice about my thoughts.

The 3.4 crate engine is only $1800. Considering that a swap with a different (used) engine can reach that, I think the crate may be the best way to go.

Just a thought but a 4.3 uses the same bell housing pattern and motor mounts with almost double to triple the power of the 2.8

The 2.8 in your 85 is carburated, if you use the motor from the 89 S 10 it is fuel injected ( throttle body style ) . The cams are different ,more valve overlap on the injected motor I think. Anyway if you're going to use the 89 motor why not move over the fuel injection system , get the harness and computer from the Chev and splice it in. When I did this swap on my 86, it worked well and it got better fuel mileage. For the fuel pump you can use the same pump thats in the T B injected 4 cyl. XJ it fits right into tank ,you'll also have run a fuel return line back to the tank.

Back