• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Audiophiles: iPod->Amp w/out Head Unit

cshontz

NAXJA Forum User
I was just thinking ... I never really use my head unit at all. I listen to my iPod through the head unit 99.5% of the time. If I could remove my head unit and feed my iPod directly through the speakers via an amp, that would free up some nice dashboard real estate for GPS, switches, and/or other accessories.

51617237_7c5316bca3.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm not much of an audiophile. I've wired CD changers, FM modulators, and replaced blown speakers - but I've never upgraded stock audio before, so I'm not sure what it would take to add an amp.

My needs are as follows:

1) Remove the head unit from the equation. Easy enough.

2) Install amplifier (probably under rear seat), preferably with multiple inputs that would be suited for direct iPod interface.

3) Set it up so iPod connection would be via docking plug, and allow charge of iPod off of 12v vehicle power. iPod would also have to allow volume adjustment.

So when I'm driving my Cherokee, all I have to do is plug my iPod in, and voila - I'm listening to music. I control the music and volume via the iPod.

My main question is, what hardware would I need to do this?

What equipment would you recommend?

An extra bonus would be for the amplifier to have a video-in (from iPod), and video outs. Video isn't my primary concern, but my wife and I have discussed getting a video setup to keep the boy (and her) entertained on road trips. I think it'd be trick to use the iPod.

That's exactly what I've been doing for the last few years in my XJ.

Without any additional equipment, the primary thing is you lose control of the 'fade' setting. As in, your front and rear speakers will be set to the same volume all the time.

Depending on how many speakers you want to run, you'll *usually* need an amp with that many channels. In my case, I used a 2-channel amp and ran both left speakers off one channel, but you need to watch the impedance rating to make sure the amp won't blow up if you do this.

If you run a 4-channel amp, you need to separate the speaker wires from the radio harness, and re-route them to the speaker outputs from the amp. Then you would need a 1/8"->RCA cable from the iPod, and then a splitter on each plug on the cable, so that you have 4 total outputs to plug into the amp. Very few (if any) amplifiers allow you to source 4 channels from 2 inputs.

An alternative would be to get something like this:

http://discountave.net/eqclar5bangr.html

which will take a single input source and split it to multiple output channels, with each level being adjustable. It also can add a dedicated subwoofer output with its own level control if you wanted to really pimp it out.

I really like having it set up that way, I don't have to worry about the head unit getting jacked or broken, and I installed my CB where the head unit used to be. Also it doesn't skip or complain when wheeling.

Only thing i would add is on the video-audio topic.. i dont usually want to hear what they are watching, even then some systems have there own audio and or headphone jacks.. of course depending on the age .. cables should alwys be used carefully with little kids... anyways i wouldnt be concerned to muach about thevideo in but you could jsut add another splitter if you wanted.......

I'd just want to use the stock speakers - or possibly upgrade the speakers with better performing stock replacements. I imagine a 4-channel amp is what I'd need. I'd prefer the setup to be reversible ... for instance I don't want to be sol if I ever want to put a head unit in again. Does this sound feasible?

Can you guys recommend a particular amplifier make and model?

Thanks for the great responses! :)

if you want to be completely able to pull the setup if necessary, you're going to wanna run all new speaker wires (most would recommend this even if you weren't, the stock wiring is of insufficient guage)

also, since you wanna keep using your stock speakers you're going to want a fairly low rms wattage amp......yes, a 4channel will be the easiest/best for you. I'm talking about something like 25 wrms per channel

As far as hooking up the iPod as the source, the easiest way to do that would be to just buy a couple of adapters. Since using a 4channel amp, you'd need two 1/8" headphone jack splitters (like this:http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=240-130), from there you'd need two 1/8" headphone jack-to-RCA plug adapters (like this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=249-039) , and then run RCA cables back to the input of the amp.

Now i'm assuming you can't use one input for 4 channels of amplifcation, i can't remember if they make amps that allow you to do this or not........if so, then you just need one of each of those adapters.

So it would go like this: iPod>1/8" headphone cable>1/8" splitter>RCA adapter>RCA's to amp input

Last edited:
I would be willing to purchase the stock head unit off of you :D.

I run my Sirius portable unit direct into an amp which feeds a $20 pep boys speaker box.

Picked up a headphone to RCA adapter at the local Frys electronics to connect Sirius to the amp.

Works great.

This is using a head unit but clarion just came out with a new deck that uses only SD cards or bluetooth. You can get bluetooth adapters for your ipod and stream the audio to the deck. Pretty slick unit.

Back