• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

klunking noise

Brian Strickland

NAXJA Forum User
i swapped in a rear 44 a few weeks ago, had new r & p, trutrac and all new seals and bearings put in, including axle bearings. i put in a new u-joint as well and new brakes and had drums turned. i started to notice a quiet klunk as i slow down w/out braking. at first i thought it was the bracket in the drums that the e-brake cable hooked to, because i had no e-brake at the time. i was very good to this axle during break-in, at 500 miles changed the rear diff oil with royal purple, everything looked good . i installed my ebrake cables and the noise is still there. it's driving me nuts. it's not a loud noise, but i like my stuff tight and quiet. any ideas? i searched and there was a difference in shoe size 10" 1.75 vs 10" 2.50 available for this axle. if i put in the smaller shoe size would that cause the noise? brakes are adjusted right, almost 1 full rotation by hand? i'm stumped ...skool me. cv driveshaft, u-joint are all greased, ubolts are tourqed, shocks are tight.

Back