• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge cluster swap, same years, one weird difference...

CheapXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I want to use the full gauge cluster from my 87 MJ when all is said and done. I'm swapping in cruise control (among other things, 2.5L/5sp to 4.0L/auto) and the donor vehicle does not have a tach.

here's the weird part, the speedo cable ends are different. I have to use the donor speedo cable to make cruise work, but it doesn't look like I can just swap the speedos from one cluster to another and it doesn't look like I can make the cable with the speed sensor for the cruise control fit the cluster with full gauges...

BOTH vehicles are 87s (2.5L Comanche Chief and the donor is an 87 4.0L Cherokee Pioneer)

I have to swap the speedo cables anyway, because the MJ's one is too short.

WTF?!? :mad:

Sounds like one of the vehicles is a late 86 build that sold as an 87. That is right at the time they were changing over from the metal push on with clip to the plastic style. Speedos are different cause they changed from american manufacture to Japan if I remember right. Way you can tell is american had two flat head screws in the face of the speedo and the other had two philips head screws. You're right that the speedos won't interchange, this is the problem I had when I tried to upgrade my cluster and why I cringe everytime I see a cluster listed for 84-96. Finally found a correct one and everything works and fits great. I have an 84-86 4 cyl. with tach and a 87-96 with tach and short upper cable hanging around now. If I can help you out with either one, let me know.

grizzley02360 said:
Sounds like one of the vehicles is a late 86 build that sold as an 87. That is right at the time they were changing over from the metal push on with clip to the plastic style. Speedos are different cause they changed from american manufacture to Japan if I remember right. Way you can tell is american had two flat head screws in the face of the speedo and the other had two philips head screws. You're right that the speedos won't interchange, this is the problem I had when I tried to upgrade my cluster and why I cringe everytime I see a cluster listed for 84-96. Finally found a correct one and everything works and fits great. I have an 84-86 4 cyl. with tach and a 87-96 with tach and short upper cable hanging around now. If I can help you out with either one, let me know.

If you could spare your 84-86 4-cyl one, I would appreciate it. I had some problems with my temp gauge and a friend from here send me a new one he had around. Unfortunatelly, it didn't fit, the mounting ears were in the wrong location and the connectors at the back of the gauge were missing.

Since I live in an area where no junk yards exist, all I can rely on is on new parts from US, or kind donations from friends. If you can live with out it, I can give you the address of a friend in US to send it to.

Needless to say, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Are you certain you can't swap the speedos between the cases? I haven't done it, but I've looked at a few out of the vehicle and I thought it would work. I was hoping to do that rather than deal with trying to reset a speedo when I swap the cluster in my '88 MJ.

Eagle said:
Are you certain you can't swap the speedos between the cases? I haven't done it, but I've looked at a few out of the vehicle and I thought it would work. I was hoping to do that rather than deal with trying to reset a speedo when I swap the cluster in my '88 MJ.

Maybe the mounting "ears" are at different positions? Just like my famous (to Eagle) temp gauge!

Rgds

I tried every which way I could think of Eagle and it's just not swapable. OK, anything is swapable, but it wouldn't be worth the trouble you'd have to go through to get it to work. Mounting screws are in two different places. Soon as I can get on the pc I have some pics I just took to show you and I'll send them e-mail since I have no idea how to post a pic here and my Mac won't support this cheap camera I have.

John, if all you need is the temp guage I have one that I know works on my 84-86 Pioneer cluster I took out. Your welcome to it. If you need the whole cluster with tach then let me know, though I have offered it here to CheapXJ first if that's what it takes to get him straightened out. PM me or e-mail me either way so we don't hijack CheapXJ's thread.

grizzley02360 said:

I know that the XJ (w/ the 4.0L and cruise) was 4/87 build date.. don't know about the MJ, hafta check... that DOES make sense though.

guess I'll hafta find another cluster. I'd like to keep the "older" looking gauges though. I like the look of them better...

but I'm gonna try to make it work, worst case scenario, I screw up the cluster that I can't use anyway :D

Back