• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering ?'s

99XJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I just put a 3" lift on my 99 xj and after the lift was done everything was fine and the steering wheel was straight, alignment seemed good. I got an adjustable tracbar and put that on a few days later and noticed the steering wheel turned 1/4 turn to the right and it pulls to the right slightly when driving. It also seems like the front right is sitting lower then the front left. do i need to adjust the tracbar? get it aligned? any suggestions? thanks

The length of the track bar is now different, so the axle is not correctly centered under the vehicle.
Adjust the track bar to center the axle & the the drag link to center your steering wheel.
Or take it and get a wheel alignment at a reputable place & they should do it all for you.:D

99XJeeper said:
is it hard to adjust correctly on my own. would it be worth it to just get it done at an alignment shop?

It is actually fairly simple. There are few ways people do it, but this is what works for me.
First take a measurement from the inner fender wall, in between the spring & the shock, out to the edge of the tire or tread lug etc. Compare both sides.... if they are not within about 5mm or 1/4" you should adjust the trackbar.
To adjust, remove the lower track bar bolt at the axle. Move the steering wheel from side to side & give the jeep a bounce up front to center the axle. Take a measurement, like before & see if its equal both sides.
If it is, adjust the track bar length so the hole in the track bar & the hole in the bracket line up. Refit the bolt & torque.
If the measurement is still unequal, you may need to get a friend to turn the steering wheel one direction or the other, while you are measureing to get it equal on both sides.
When it is equal, get your friend to hold the steering wheel still while you adjust the track bar so the holes line up & refit the bolt & torque.
Then adjust the draglink to center the steering wheel.
Go for a drive a marvel at your expertise!

Back