• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk in the Front End

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
After installing my RE 3.5" SF, i havent driven it much, i need to get the SYE output shaft.

But anyways, i am having a clunk from the front end when i turn. I know i need a new U-joint. Could that be the problem??

I also still have to re-tighten everything at some point, could that be the problem?

Thanks

Brendan

i think i may have narrowed it down to the front u-joint. i noticed it was going bad, and the left side has already been replaced with a greasable one, the right is stock

i notice the clunk when i am turning left more often, could the right side u-joint be the problem??

any ideas??

This may not even be your issue, but I was having the same problem with mine. Put new u-joints in the front axle shafts and it was still there. Found out the 2 outside bolts on the steering box were kinda loose. See if the washer on the outside of the unibody will spin, if it does then its loose, make sure ur DRENCH it in penetrating oil first and let is soak a bit, I've heard they can break easily. Hope this helped

okay...will do

im gonna get the ujoint fixed anyways because its starting to show rust

i will look into the steering box, a little too dark now but will try when its light out

all ur saying is tighten up the steering box to the frame and it should theoretically fix the clunk??

Trackbar
Crawl under front end have someone turn wheel side to side and look for any play in any linkages or engage four wheel drive lift front a wheel try to roate wheel look for any play do same for other wheel

I had a clunk and it looked like that tracbar was tight when i pulled on it...moved the wheel and it was so loose I could spin the nut with my hand.

bmyohn said:
okay...will do

im gonna get the ujoint fixed anyways because its starting to show rust

i will look into the steering box, a little too dark now but will try when its light out

all ur saying is tighten up the steering box to the frame and it should theoretically fix the clunk??

If its loose..... like I said, look at the washers between the bolt and the outside of the unibody, if you can spin the washer, then its not tight and needs to be tightened

okay great

someone also said it could be the new LCAs i put in, how does that have an effect on the steering in that way??

Brendan

i have also heard now that it could be the disconnects, i went with the RE disconnects instead of the JKs, can the disconnects cause a "clunk" noise??

yeah, now that i though about it more, i notice it more when i am turning the wheel at slower speeds, so therefore the disconnects wouldn't be it, im leaning towards the Trac Bar now...we'll see, i have to look into it more

most front end clunks I've had were control arm bushings or the trackbar.
don't forget to check the trackbars frame side bracket and make sure it's tight. Mine was loose once, and made an awful racket. A bit of loctite solved that problem forever.

i took it out just now and i think the trac bar bracket on the axle is loose, where the trac bar bolts to the frame, i saw some play in the trac bar

i may have solved the problem but im not sure

was that the answer for most people??

My clunk turned into a wobble even after using washers under castle nut and buying a new bracket from "ASATXJ"
My answer after wasting my money an OEM replacement was Kevin's off road Track bar conversion, with 60d bushings(I am still using the original bushings 45d) pricey but has solved all play in my steering and clunks also wobbles

Back