• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering

AfricaXJ6

NAXJA Forum User
Hi;

On my 1998 XJ ; jeep cherokee 4.0 litre petrol. I found some leakage on the steering damper.Should I replace this unit; or run it.No problems with steering experienced.If i do not replace it; any consequences?

Also when i turn the steering ( with engine off) on either side;i hear a slight cunk on teh steering box.This happens before teh wheels actuall start to turn.Any ideas on what causes this clunk noice?

Please advise

regards
collin

A tiny bit of clunk may be normal when there is no fluid circulating. If it's just a little when you wiggle the wheel back and forth, but it is tight when the engine is on, I wouldn't worry. But you should also check that there isn't visible play in the pitman shaft at the bottom, and while you're at it, make sure that the clunk is not coming from the track bar. I think it's pretty much optional when and whether you replace the steering gear for a little play in the pitman shaft, but it doesn't take much lost motion there to make the steering sloppy. There should be no play at all in the track bar, and if it's loose, you just need to replace it.

For the steering damper, you may never know for sure how good it is unless you disconnect one end and test it. A little seepage is probably all right, but because it's basically a shock absorber on its side, it can't afford to lose too much fluid before it stops damping.

Re: Steering and Idle

Thank you mathew;

Your suggestions make sense; I will try that.

Another question to all:

I usually use my Jeep Cherokee; 4.0L 1998 only on week ends.
I noticed that on teh first start; it does not keep idle easily; and may switch off a couple of times.Once i drive it; i never have that problem again for the entire week end.Then when parked for a week; it happens again on starting.

any thoughts and ideas?

thanks
collin

Back