• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P1682 code discrepancy

XJMK

aka boredchimp
OK, so I get a scan at Autozone and I got the one for O2 sensor, bank one, sensor 2, which is what I expected.

I also got the P1682, which they told me meant "Metering oil pump malfunction". I've kept an eye on the oil press since the light came on last night, and its normal. So I came here to find some more info, and everything I find is electrical system no workie good.

Here's the paper they gave me:
DSCN2181.jpg

Its a 98 4.0L.

Has anyone else come across this, or anyone know what Autozone means? They told me to ask the Jeep dealer cuz they didn't know. TIA.

Taking the code to bits:

P = Powertrain
1 = Manufaturer code (not in SAE Standard - probably why AZ didn't know it...)
682 - Trouble code and system.

"P1682" comes back to "Charging System Voltage Too Low" (http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/bl_obd_16.htm) - I need to expand my OBD-II reference table for this - since I probalby didn't see it in a manual on my shelf. I've got most of the codes pertaining to us already, so it's just a matter of coding everything into HTML.

So, I'd start by checking voltage at the battery with the engine running and the engine OFF, and compare the two. Engine running should be ~1.5VDC higher than engine off - if it isn't, you're not charging (nominal battery voltage is 12.0-12.6VDC, nominal charging system voltage is 13.5-14.0VDC.)

If you're getting a low charge, recheck alternator output directly at the back of the case (a test lead with a crocidile clip can be very handy here!)

HTH

Any code where the first numerical digit is a zero is an SAE standard code across all makes, and they can probably understand those.

Anytime the first number is a one, it's a manufacturer-specific code, and expect the screen to go blank on the parts droids...

Become wise in the Way of Google, Grasshopper. That page was the first hit using <P1682 + Jeep> - so the information is there. Also, you may want to bookmark my own site (link in sig,) since I'm trying to build a "one-stop shop" for Jeep Tech information - just because it can be found with some looking doesn't mean it shouldn't all be in one place. Sometimes, we're in a hurry. Sometimes, it's even for a good reason...

Back