• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax-5 wont go into gear

i have a 1993 cherokee sport, 4.0, 5 speed (ax5 right?) and i wont go into gear, the clutch felt funky so i blead the fluid and then the problem seemed to have gone away, but now it wont even go in when the motor is off, and i mean it wont go in on any gear at all. it first started the other day being hard to get in to gear, then it would get easy again, especially at high speeds, then it wouldnt go in at all while running, and then it wouldnt go in at all while not even running. thinking its the clutch master cylinder?? any tips would be great (as i am running short on time, i'm in california and need to be to work in washington on monday), also, is the master cylinder and the slave cylinder all one deal or seperate?. thanks a million, jordan

It could be that the slave is gone and not working fully. Cheapest start would be to replace the slave, more epensive step is to pull the tranny. If it's the original slave I'd do that first with a sealed unit [they come as one piece with fluid already in it, don't open it] and it's a 30 minute bolt in. Quadratec sells them. Thats how I would start. I would also check and make sure you have lube in the tranny too.

dzraces said:
unn 93 has the internal slave way more than 30 minutes

Missed that...though it was 97 for some reason

THe 93 has the internal slave? I have a 91 and its the exernal. Is this right? By the, how did that repair come out, what got done, how much did it cost? Thanks I have the same problem.

- TJ

truckeejeeper said:
THe 93 has the internal slave? I have a 91 and its the exernal. Is this right? By the, how did that repair come out, what got done, how much did it cost? Thanks I have the same problem.

- TJ

I'm not real clear on the internal/external vs the years but alot of shops, the one I used in particular, would do the conversion for an extra $100-150 or so just to make life easier on the owner, cost of the bell housing. Generally during an internal failure or clutch replacment as it was the same amount of work. You can't always go by the year, gotta eyeball it. I had a 69 willys wagon and an S10 when my shop was doing it so I never paid more than passing attention to the conversion. Then we did our 93YJ and I had to scramble for what was needed parts wise. There are times I wish I had a USB port in my head so I could archive interesting tidbits like that on a memory stick... yea I could write it down but my pennmanship is soooo bad after 18 years of keyboarding I could not read it...

truckeejeeper said:

- TJ
then someone has changed it. External slave didn't happen until 95-96 IIRC.

Would there be a major issue with adding in some ATF and driving with it in for a couple miles, easy like, to flush particles out and then draining it all out and filling it back up with gear oil? I just wanna try to flush out any contaminates and clean the innards a bit since I'll be down there anyway...

Never fill it with gear oil. Always use an MTF with a GL-4 or lower rating. Dont use GL-5 either. I used pennzoil synchromesh in mine and it went from shifting rough to shifting great

artsifrtsi said:
Well, by gear oil I meant what is called for for it...

So the ATF for a couple miles for a flush shouldn't be an issue then?
Well from what Ive heard DC put the wrong fluid in the manual. Its says normal GL-5 but later they said it needs GL-4 or GL-3.

Well, fluid change and flush may be a moot point... Drove to work this morning, and she's bucking in 1st and reverse... sitting at idle out of gear with clutch out it occasionally grinds. Tranny appears to be gone...

Back