• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Shft Cable Trouble

XJOFFROAD

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 XJ that the tranny took a dump in. Bought another Aw4 from an 89 XJ and installed it, install went fine. Now I’m trying to hook up the shift cable and hooked it up. Inside of the XJ the shift knob says its in Park but I get under the Tranny and its in Reverse. I then went and played with the Old tranny and there are only P,R,N,D,3,1-2 and the new tranny seems to have another gear. So I adjusted the shift cable as far as it will go and it still wont go into Park when you shift from inside the vehicle. It seems like the shift cable it to short. I was told this Tranny is from an 89 XJ, which are the same spline count for my 87, right? So how can I get this thing running? Are there different size cables for these AW4?

Yes I have searched.

I don't recall, but I;m wondering if the shift arm on the tranny can go on upside down and put things off? As I recall the nut on might sheared off and I actually have mine tacked onto the end of the shaft.

Back