• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to identify proper carriers?

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a set of 4.11 gears for my XJ (D30 and D35). As my XJ has 3.07 gears, I will have to change both carriers. However, these carriers are not easy to find (or let's say, cheap to buy new) here in Mexico, so I'm seriously considering to pick them up at some yunkyard.

However, how can I identify the proper parts I need? Are D30 or D35 carriers different (splines, bearings, etc.)? How are high ratio gears and low ratio ones different? Can it be distinguished at sight?

Regards

D30 and D35 carriers are different.

You can see what carrier it is by the ID tag on the differental cover, if it still has the tag.

You can also tell what carrier it is by counting the ring and pinion teeth, and dividing the ring gear tooth count by the pinion tooth count.

Example: 41 ring gear teeth/11 pinon teeth = 3.73

Did you get both sets and are not sure which is which? Or are you asking if you need to replace your carriers to install the new gears?
If you search on here you should find the carrier break for both axles.
Oh crap. I just re-read your post and Canman answered perfectly.

No,

I just bought a set of ring/pinion for my D30/D35 axles (Jeep XJ 1988), but I will need to get new carriers as I now have a 3.07 ratio and I'll be installing 4.10, so, my question is how to find the proper carriers in a junkyard.

Regards

Look for a D30 with 373 or lower (numerically higher) gears and a D35 with 354 or lower (numerically higher) gears and they will have the carriers you need. As CanMan said, you can identify them by the tag on the cover if they still have it, by reading and dividing the numbers etched on the gears or by spinning the axle shaft around once and counting pinion revolutions.

OK,

That's if the diff is still in one piece. So, if the diff is teared apart, should I stay away from such carriers? And, are all carriers for D30 equal (no matter what car / year they come from? The same for D35?

Regards

If you set the carriers side by side on a table(ring gear side down),the one with the higher/taller ring gear mounting surface is the numerically higher carrier!

OK, ¿so both carriers should be practically identical?

Now, ¿will any D30 / D35 carrier work no matter the car it comes from if it's from the same gear ratio range? ¿Do all come with the same splines configuration?

There IS a carrier break. Unfortunately I do remember where the break is...

But with a little "searching", I'm sure you'll find everything you'll need.

Do a search for "carrier break D30" and "carrier break D35".

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=912131&highlight=carrier+break

As an example this thread says the carrier break is at 3:55 for the D35.

I personally would call someone like Randys Ring and Pinion and ask them.

But I'm sure if you search you can find the correct information.

I have one more question. I was told the empty carrier for D35 changes from 1994, is that true? I think I will have to take my old carriers with me to the junkyard to be 100% sure they're identical and will fit properly.

Regards

Back