• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sharp turns in 4WD produce jerks in steering wheel ...

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
- '91 XJ, 4.0L
- NP 231 (Part Time) transfer case

When I'm driving in 4WD Part-Time in the snow, and I turn the wheel all the way to make a slow U-turn, the steering wheel jerks in my hand. Is this normal? Or is it a sign of front axle u-joint problems?

Thanks!!

could be u-joint could just be it binding up a little which is normal when making turns in 4WD.

its usually a normal thing, while in part time its safe to make larger turn around

U-Joints do not turn as freely as CV's. When you're at that angle it will jerk, causing the steering wheel to jerk (when the power is applied it trys to straighten out).

Now if it's accompanied by a click or clunk check the U-Joints (and if you haven't done so in awhile check them anyway).

Sequoia

Its normal, or at least mine does it too.

I just push the clutch in while turning when it starts

Thanks for the answers, guys. I didn't feel any play in the axle u-joints, but I had heard that u-joints tighten up before getting loose, so I thought I'd ask.

Back