• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anyone make a spool for a D35?

gone postal

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for something for my rear and was gonna lockright it, but thought a spool would be more beneficial and obviously cheaper. I know I could weld it, but would rather lockright it than do that.

I'm not trying to sound like an ass but wouldn't it make more sense to take the $250 you'd spend for a Lockright and pick up an 8.8 or an 8.25 or something? Locking a D35 is asking for broken shafts. You could get away with welding an 8.8 no problem. Just find one with whatever gears you need and an open carrier, buy some $10 spring pads from Mopar and weld it up.

If you must lock the D35 you can find good deals on D35 Lockrights from time to time on all the boards.

No, not an ass - I'm always open to opinions. I've considered another axle, but honestly, this is only on 31" BFG A/T and mostly sees concrete and the beach. I occasionally venture into mud, but nothing too crazy.

The only one I know of that make a spool for a D35 is Lincoln.....maybe Miller :D

No BS...concrete will bust a axle good with traction and a spool, you should look into a lockright.

Otherwise, it is time to upgrade.

Rev

REV,

Do you have personal experience breaking an axle using a spool on concrete or did you just hear about it?

John

What axle were you runinng?

John

D35

As mentioned.

Rev

Stock if that was your next question.
XJ loaded with camping gear, increasing traction in the parking lot, tires aired down, dry concrete.

I have no experience running locked on anything but a Dana 44. I have had no problems with my minispool, in fact I am very, very happy with it. The reputation of D35 as a time bomb is well deserved.

Postal: Upgrade the axle (D44, Chry 8.25 or F8.8) and then lock it.

John

I have only found one company who makes one for the D35... it's model # M18A1

here's a picture:

images

Back