• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 with a rumbling noise at 50+ mph

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
This just started today......when i hit about 50mph or so i start getting this rumbling noise. I seem to hear it more than i feel it, but it started so suddenly. One minute i'm driving on the highway, i stop at a light, i start going again and get back up to speed and now i've got this rumbling noise......:confused:

last weekend i pulled my driveshaft to lube up the slip yoke, but i put the shaft back in the same orientation that i pulled it and i torqued the u-joint retainers to the right torque..........don't know if this matters

I've also had my diff cover off very recently, my ring and pinion and the rest of my pumpkin are in terrific shape......

I'm assuming this is a bearing????? HELP!

'01 NP231 8.25

my wheel bearings rumbled before they were shot. The easiest way to check is jack up 1 wheel at a time and grab it at 12 and 6 and see if there is any play in the wheel if there is you found out that its the wheel bearing. I ran man with the rumble for a while and had no problems until the noise got to loud for me to handle changed it out ran nice and quiet again. Well as quiet as it could be

having pulled your driveshaft might have something to with it. Remove your front driveshaft and drive around and see if it stops. It might also just be a coincidence that the bearings went out at the same time but anytime some issue starts in an area that you just messed with, then you might have caused something...

i just pulled the shaft, i noticed that now the rear u-joint has play in it.........

it almost seems like the joint is too small for the yoke, it slides back and forth??

i guess i'll replace it anyway

well i went ahead and replaced the joint, seems to have cleared up the rumbling..............i'll have to drive around more to see

It seems the rumble came back!! argh

it was good for like 5 days, definately no rumble even up to 75mph

but of course today i'm driving, i hit about 50-55ish and i start hearing the rumble again

what the hell?

seems like i'm the only one who's ever had this problem???

is there a way i can try to balance the shaft?? i've seen something about using hose clamps placed 180 degrees from each other???

or would i just be better off getting a new driveshaft?? they're cheap enough

I have the same problem. Rumbles/vibes at 25 to 35 and then smooth, starts again at 60-ish, Replaced the DS with a brand new balanced CV, even worse, rotated the DS 180 on the rear yoke, same thing. Pulled the rear wheel axles, good condition. Tranny and TC, new. Front DS not there. Engine/tranny mounts are good.
Replaced the joints on the old shaft (OEM), will be installed in a few minutes. Hope it goes away... if not, I'll replace the rear yoke as the rumbling can be heard coming from the rear axle area.

Back