• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 behind a 2.5

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
I know this has been discused before and some claim the AW4 was used behind the 2.5 in MJ's but I have yet to see it. I stumbled across this today:

The '03 or '04 Isuzu's now use the AW tranny again behind the 3.5. In doing so, they produced a new bellhousing to mate the two. This bell bolts to the 60 deg Chevy pattern in the 3.5 block. So, after my engine swap, I'll be able to get a bell housing from Isuzu that'll bolt this new drivetrain to my 4.9 Caddy motor. Will need to figure out a torque converter / flexplate for it, but that's a pretty minor issue I think.

This also means that it'll bolt to several engines (Isuzu 3.2/3.5, GM 2.8/3.1/3.4, Isuzu 2.3/2.6, Caddy V8's including the Northstar, the 3.5 Olds shortstar, GM supercharged 3800, multiple Toyota engines including the turbocharged Supra, the Tundra V8, and on and on), all with factory bell housings. These tranny's have a very good reputation for being strong and reliable. But, with big V8 power, a stock tranny may not last long and will need a HD re-build on it. Built this way, it does last behind 600 hp Supra's, and heavy, TRD supercharged 4-Runner/Tacoma/Tundra/Sequoia trucks as well.

This means a 4 speed aw4 can be bolted to the 2.5L with the newer isuzu bellhousing. It also opens up a lot of other engine swap for xj's. Anyone want to try a Northstar swap? Just thought you guys would find this intresting.

Pass on the northstar for sure lol.

I don't think a 2.5 would be able to pull OD with an AW4? With 33s and 4.56s I could see it having a hard time. Now if you could 5.29s or something the OD might be useful.

Can't speak to the Isuzu comment, but the AW4 did exist behind the 2.5, in XJ/MJ's from 87-89 only (and came with 4.56's stock). My new front axle came from an 87 XJ in the 'yard (2.5/AW4) and I just helped another MJ'er convert his MJ to 4WD. His is an '88 MJ with 2.5 and AW4, and his rear axle now lives under my MJ (4.56 to match the front). We had to reuse his bellhousing off the old 2WD AW4, and mated it to a 4WD AW4 out of the junkyard from a 4.0L XJ. We also found out the hard way that you have to reuse the torque converter that was originally behind the 2.5....the 4.0L one that came with the tranny did not fit. He ended up getting a new one for about $100 from someplace up near Pittsburgh, PA.

See this thread for some action photos from last weekend (not of the tranny, but the axles). Jerry did take some pics of his driveline when we converted it a few weeks ago, if you want to see some of the trannies I can ask him for some. - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=910890

Jeff

I found one in the junkyard before, it was a 2.5 with the AW4. Came with factory 4.56's, which is where my front axle came from.

I swear you guys have all the luck. :twak:

Back