• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I say...

tyspier

NAXJA Forum User
I say, 4cyl automatic Jeep Cherokee [2dr], what do you say in response?

Bad?
Good?
Wicked offroader?
No power?

What do yous know about a 4cyl automatic in a 2d XJ? Is it worth it or no?

id say ud be better off with a stick but thats just me

Ok well im pretty much asking how the 2.5L coupled with the automatic transmssion would work for offroading in a Cherokee. Thanks.

The 2.5 is a very good engine,yes it's slow but not too bad at all with EFI, the carbed model has its problems.You can get pretty good mileage with it and it will pull well off road although slowly up any steep hill and is just not the 4.0 to say the least. I have had them since 84 and had several go over 250k. They will last especially if you keep that radiator flowing as it tends to clog at the bottom.I have also had several 4.0 models.They have the punch and speed. If you really like to go fast and need lots of torque the 4.0 is your engine.I will say the 2.5 will do what you need, but slowly. The EFI models have a little more punch.Replace the YFA Carter carb on the early ones with the Weber and you'll pick up a decent bit of power.Don't automatically knock the 2.5, it doesn't deserve it.

That sounds alrite to start out, and to learn how to properly go wheelin'.

If its a 1989, would the 2.5L be carb'ed or fuel injection? The one I'm looking at is only like $900.

88xjlover said:
How much? If this could be a parts jeep those axle's have 4.56 gears (correct me if I'm wrong) and would be cool to swap under a 4.0 with some 33's. But I like projects!

probably 4.10 gears for the auto, most manuals got 3.73........

good gears just find a 4.0 to swap in

If it's an 87-89, with an AW4 trans, it will have 4.56's....stock.

Jeff

Back