• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock foglight wiring handle 100w bulbs?

summitlt said:
I have a 99 XJ, will the stock wiring handle a 100W bulb? My 90 MJ did.

The 1990 was built to AMC specs, which were a bit higher. I wouldn't try that with ChryCo wiring.

Even bearing in mind the way AMC did things, 100W was probably pushing it slightly.

So, use the OEM wiring to trip a relay, and feed power through the relay to the wiring and lamps.

I too would not recommend it. IIRC the wiring is only 18awg. Besides you would be defeating the purpose of fog lights anyway.

I woundnt want to catch the thing on fire to find out! I also have noticed lately that the wiring was ok, but the damn switch was smoked. seen a few headlight switchs do the same thing behind the dash. go with a relay

Second on bumping up the fog wattage, defeats the purpose of the fogs, especially the factory ones. On a set of high quality, maybe but then the brightness will reflect back more. If you want driving lights then get driving lights and use them.

in my or any experiance when you put 100 watts in those housings or any 55 watt housing the larger wattage bulb creates too much heat causing bulb failure usually in about a week or less ive tried it many times in alot of differant types of lights with no success

kennzz05 said:
in my or any experiance when you put 100 watts in those housings or any 55 watt housing the larger wattage bulb creates too much heat causing bulb failure usually in about a week or less ive tried it many times in alot of differant types of lights with no success
I think that really depends on the quality of the light. I have had 100w bulbs in my IPF 968's ever sense I got them in 04, and they still have those bulbs in them. I have been running 90/85w bulbs in my CIBIE lenses for about 4 months, and haven't lost one yet. I do a little more night driving than the average person too.

I still wouldn't put 100w bulbs in them. You know that you aren't going to be able to run these on the road right? Driving lights are only legal to be used with the high beams, and the factory fog light circuit is only powered when the high beams are off. That can be modified though, but you will need to be comfortable with wiring to do it as you will need to disasemble the PDC to do it. Also to be the most effective you would want the driving lights on top of the bumper.

Rev Den said:
Bet you thought I was gonna post that pic up again?

You mean this one?

smtmj.jpg

:D

Back