• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar Work...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
OK, who here things securing a castellated nut with a cotter pin in a blind bracket is silly?

Does anyone have any tips for getting that thing out, or should I just dig up my cordless Dremel and hang the thing, since I plan on replacing it anyhow... The frame end bracket is just difficult enough to get all the bolts for that I'd prefer not to, and replacing the thing right now isn't that critical... Yet.

Is it any wonder I use Mechanic's Pins instead of cotter pins?

5-90

If the pin is still installed, Craftsman makes a handy "Cotter Pin Extractor" tool. If the pin is broken off inside of the TRE and castellated nut, use a small punch and some finesse.

Naw, the pin ain't broken - or I'd have already punched it out.

What's that Cotter Pin Extractor cost, and (generally) how does it work for you? I'm about to look it up - so I'm more interested in your experience with the thing...

5-90

EDIT - Oh, like that. I was expecting something with a little more leverage. I've got a "bent pick" that I got from Snap-On years ago that works rather well, but I still have to straighten out the legs on the damn cotter pin. I can't get to the legs on this one easily, which is why I was asking...

5-90

Just did my track bar yesterday- nasty!!! once I got the cotter pin out the whole just spun woth the nut, so I cut it off (mistake) on the bottom side of the bracket then remembered its tapered. After removing the track bar bracket from the truck I torched the nut off, blew a small hole in the bracket to get an air hammer on it and it came right out.

Yeah, I hate castellated nuts and cotter pins. I use hitch pin clips whenever possible.
Excuse my stupidity, but what are "mechanic's pins"? I searched Google, but didn't get anything.

Sorry - they're commonly sold as "safety pins." Catch is, I learned mechanical work from my grandfather, and he renamed them to keep them straight with my grandmother when she went into town (since her main hobby was sewing...)

They look like big safety pins, but they're made entirely out of one piece of spring wire, and they're not as pointy on the ends. That, and they're rather larger...

5-90

Back