• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Really Dumb question about 4low

Beatjeep

NAXJA Forum User
THis is probably a very dumb question and I am full prepared to get flamed for it however here it goes...

I just bought some 33X13.5 LTB's and I plan on regearing eventually within a few months when money allows. I have a 97 2 door XJ 5 speed w/ 8.25 rear and D30 front. Is it possible to do minor wheeling keeping the transfer case in 4low at all times offroad with the 33's? This IS NOT a DD.

Thanks and feel free to fire away at my stupidity.

As long as your axles have the "same" gear ratio (usually off by a point or two, in favour of the front) then tyre size is not an issue. Neither are the different models of axle - it's gear ratios that matter.

What gears are you planning on, anyhow? Just curious...

5-90

No worries, it will be fine.

5-90 said:
As long as your axles have the "same" gear ratio (usually off by a point or two, in favour of the front) then tyre size is not an issue. Neither are the different models of axle - it's gear ratios that matter.

What gears are you planning on, anyhow? Just curious...

5-90

Well I know that the axles have to have the same ratio...Im just worried about running 33's with the stock gears (3.07) for the time being however keeping it only in 4lo.

I want to go to 4.56's but thats as deep as you can go i guess with the 8.25.

You can run pretty much any tyre you can stuff in the wheel well with pretty much any gear ratio you'd like - you'll just lose economy and strain parts (moreso in 4L, actually, since you're introducing an extra multiplication factor of 2.72:1.)

If it's a "trail only" rig, have you considered ditching the 8.25" for something with a few more choices? Just asking...

5-90

5-90 said:
You can run pretty much any tyre you can stuff in the wheel well with pretty much any gear ratio you'd like - you'll just lose economy and strain parts (moreso in 4L, actually, since you're introducing an extra multiplication factor of 2.72:1.)

If it's a "trail only" rig, have you considered ditching the 8.25" for something with a few more choices? Just asking...

5-90

Yes but its also more of a budget trail rig. Although If i find a D44 with the right gears and at a descent price then I would def buy that and just regear the front. However, I feel that the 8.25 is plenty sufficient to meet my needs with the proper gearing.

Back